Pc Tools Antivirus problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Voyager, May 20, 2011.

1. Voyager

Voyager Private E-2

I have an Acer Windows Vista 32 bit laptop computer.
    I have been running, PC Tools Antivirus, Malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster and PC Tools Firewall with no problems. Everything was running well.
    Today I run a Free PC Tools Antivirus 8 update-upgrade. All went well, PC Antivirus 8 installed, updated and run a scan finding nothing. But when I went to restart my computer it wouldn't boot into windows, it got to the bar and the bar just kept running and running.

I got into safe mode and uninstalled the PC Tools Antivirus and restarted my computer.. It booted up into Windows just fine. I ran Malwarebytes to make sure there wasn't anything on my computer. It showed no threats.
    I again tried to install PC Tools Antivirus 8 FREE version and again all went well then when I restarted my computer, again it wouldn't boot into windows.

I do not understand the problem. Hope someone can help me out.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Sounds like you have a simple compatibility problem. Sometimes a piece of software just doesn't work on your system. Time to try something else.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you do it this way?
    I looked at the forum http://www.pctools.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-PC-Tools-AntiVirus
    It said you could install over the top but if you are having major problems, then I'd go with the uninstall, reboot and install the latest version.

4. Voyager

Voyager Private E-2

I didn't uninstall the first version because it was an upgrade from 7 to 8.
    But when I couldn't get into Windows the first time I did uninstall it then reinstalled and again it installed with no problems, it updated and ran a scan. Run beautifully, but did the same thing, wouldn't let me boot back into Windows when I shut down and rebooted.
    Could be a compatibility problem, like Abekl suggested. Just terribly disappointing.

I do know that Norton Antivirus did the very same thing, ran fine but I was unable to get back into windows after restart.

Avast used to work well on this computer too, but with an update it also wouldn't install just like Avast. Seems like these programs are just moving away from my computer.
    And I tried Avila it also wouldn't install. Could be an ACER thing, I know that Acer and AVG do not get along together.
    But looking around last night I did find Panda, don't know how good it is, but right now that is the only Antivirus program that will run on this computer that I have found.

5. plodr

Nope, it isn't an Acer thing. Your problem is you have remnants of too many AV programs.
    (I have an eMachine, owned by Acer and I uninstalled a Norton trial when I tried to install another av, it blue-screened on me).
    See if appremover finds things and removes them. http://www.appremover.com/
    I have personally never used this but it was recommended to me from a MSMVP for Security and if she says it is good, it is good.
    I use RevoUninstaller to remove my programs now.

6. Voyager

Voyager Private E-2

Used the remover, but still had the problem.
    Found out I had a corrupt windows file and followed instructions from Microsoft to fix it, updated the visual C++ and finally was able to install AVAST.
    Took me all day yesterday to finally figure it all out but thankful I am up and running.
    Thanks guys!

7. plodr

Thanks for posting the problem as well as the solution. This will help anyone finding this thread that has the same problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds