shareaza

Discussion in 'Software' started by ladee_katt, Jan 9, 2004.

1. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

Okay, I need some help. In search of a p2p that is spyware free, I d/l shareaza. The trouble is I can't seem to configure it correctly to work. Tried to get help in the chat rooms they have, but I'm afraid their "tech-talk" was waaay over my head, and I guess I became something ofa pain in the butt, so I was respectively 'disreguarded'. I am running on a dsl, but have no idea what to do configure it to use a p2p. Can someone help??

2. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

Tried shareaza before to get out of my schools firewall; didnt work.
    Id suggest kazaa lite if you cant get shareaza to work. Not kazaa, kazaa lite.

Im currently using DC++ for my school network (lots of public hubs, though), and kazaa lite for the rest of the internet, since I just got rogers.

3. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

I assume it can be found here? I will look. Thank you for the suggestion.

4. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

p2p is dead. Too many leecherz, too many lamerz and way too many corporate spys looking to grab ur ip addy and supena your ISP for your name and address then send you a nice little letter asking for $2500 USD per incident or they'll take you to court and get the normal $250,000 USD per incident of sharing.

Switch over to uunet.

5. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

what is a uunet? Sorry, I'm still learning.

6. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

a.k.a. Use Net, Newsgroups, newz, the disenchanted kingdom. Depending on your ISP, you probably already have ax to the news server. Go get urself the free program called "Grabit", check your isp for news server details. If you don't have an ISP that offers a news server then you'll have to pay for one, which isn't a bad deal considering most ISP don't give you good lists.

First tip is free, don't EVER give out your real e-mail address unless for some reason you enjoy getting spammed.

ICQ or PM me for other helpful hints.

Honestly, p2p is doing more harm than good. the RIAA BSA, and the MPAA are all over the place looking for ip addresses. Unless you have it "in" with a private hub somewhere, I would stay very far away from p2p.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

better yet.. don't download illegal stuff and you won't have to worry about any of this..

8. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

Who said anything about illegal downloads?

9. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

thankyou Boz......since I've been implicated, I'd like to say at least this.....I have been searching for a couple of albums from a band I really enjoy, but the albums were under a little noone recoring co., and were sold only at the couple of venues.....they are out of print. The band it'self have made it very well known that if their fans would like to get the albums, to feel free to d/l them off of the net via p2p.......they said this after they learned that illegal copies of the album were being copied and sold by s.o.b.'s online. They would rather give it to their fans, than let these a**holes profit off of their hard work!SO, I am not after illegal content. I create personal artworks myself, I it infuriates me when I see people using it, and calling it theirs. I can only imagine how artists feel knowing that their souls, poured out on an album, are basically being black marketed. There, I said my peace.:mad:

Edit: while on the subject of p2p's, after uninstalling kazaa, and running kazaabegone, there is still a file called GMT (5.18MB). I keep getting an error message "Cannot dlete EGIEProcess:Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currectly in use." Any clues?? Thanks guys!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  10. ChrisC

P2P isnt dead, and it offers a lot of benefits.
    Some groups are selling things off P2P networks now to; it is evolving, and is still valid.

And Kazaa lite has the RIAA Ip blocker in it, which you can also download even if you are using normal kazaa.
    And newsgroups, etc, are more time consuming then P2P; might work for those who like computers, but, I know my mom wouldnt be able to get the hang of it (at least, wouldnt want to bother), so, for a lot of people, P2P is easy; you type in a search word, click, and it downloads.

20 years ago, this was unimaginable, get a song just by clicking and typing, for a grand total of maybe 20 seconds. And its free.

11. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

IP blocker for p2p, I laugh at you. Do you honestly think that works? Do you honestly think the RIAA isn't reading what you're reading, learning what u learn? They know about the IP blockers and they've taken steps to correct it, you think haxor's are the only ones with axx to proxy servers?

Pah-leeeeez, reality bites, I just want to make sure it doesn't bite somebody who doesn't know any better. IRC, private FTP and uunet. Any thing else and ur fooling urself.

News groups aren't any harder to learn than p2p for anyone who cares to know how they're run.

Your right p2p isn't dead, but it's making the RIAA rich at the tune of $2500 USD a pop!

12. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

to ladee kat
    EGIEProcess is part of GATOR please run ad-aware with the latest updates to solve this problem

as for file sharing i have no comment either way anyone who does it surely knows the risks so its up to them i dont bother any more what with all the corrupt files, spyware and the RIAA etc etc it aint worth it

13. bbrich

bbrich Private E-2

um the RIAA can't do anything at the moment...they can't sue anyone so don't worry about that stuff... I suggest you d/l peerguardian and keep it updated, then here's my fav program's... Bit Torrent, WinMx, Shareaza, mIRC... (they will take some time to get used to, not for just any noob...especially mIRC) check out slyck.com for guides that will explain all (and more) or these type of programs...

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

uunet is an internet backbone, not an acronym or buzz word :D

15. ChrisC

Just a note on RIAA's lawsuits; it costs them quite a bit of money to bring the issue to court, as well as the manpower to sue all the people.
    So, their $2500 isnt really going to make them much money when all is said and done, its mainly to try and discourage people from using P2P. It has worked on some people, but has really just made everyone hate RIAA; when they sue a 12 year old girl, or a super-senior couple who dont even own a computer, or people who got their computer donated through charity because they are dirt poor, it doesnt look good on them.

I hope RIAA either 'wakes up and smells the coffee', or dies, real soon.
    i-Tunes has shown paid downloads work.
    I hope artists soon start selling music exclusively over the net; they can still get radio play, and they would probably make as much or more money buy selling independently rather then going through RIAA.

16. Mocean

Mocean Guest

....your acting like just because an album is out of print that its still right...? Hate to tell you but its still illegal.

Oh and you want to know why the RIAA is currently winning this situation? Everyone is too big of a pansy to actually go after them, and try to counter-sue or something. Everyone runs away and settles their case ASAP. IF I ever got a supena, I would have the fattest lawyer in the land about copyright laws, and rights dealing with computers.

Oh and on the subject of news groups...from what i've heard it will not be going dead anytime anywhere near soon. Aparently, people cant tell if you downloading or simply viewing the binaries.

17. bbrich

bbrich Private E-2

18. Mocean

Mocean Guest

ummm according to kazaa and other places, users are SCARED they ran away like pansys when they heard the about lawsuits. This being in addition to the ones they ACTUALLY sued.

19. bbrich

bbrich Private E-2

all I can say is... good luck to the RIAA... they will never come close to accomplishing their goals, their lawsuits have been kicked outta court, and I believe they can no longer sue the occasional user, everyone that quit the p2p system b/c they feared the RIAA, are exactly that "pansys"

20. bbrich

bbrich Private E-2

oh ya, and if anyone even still uses kazaa or like p2p programs, they would have to be nuts, all the trojans/viruses/corrupted files... so many more options out there...

21. Mocean

Mocean Guest

not really....theres P2P, then BT, and newsgroups...aside from that...ummm mabie private FTP's? but you would have to have to have connections for that type of thing...only other thing is IRC, and people hate it cuz of que lines.

22. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

I didn't think this needed repeating but... IP blocking does NOT work!!! I don't care how much you "update" nobody, and I mean NOBODY can find/update/block as fast as they can change proxy servers. If you p2p, you will be found unless your using a proxy too and even that's no guaranty.

I have my own issues with RIAA and they extend WAY beyond suing little girls. PR nightmare yes, technically wrong, no.

Yes, I totally agree, p2p is a terrific tool, it's awesome and it has a future just as soon as corporate bigshots loose their grip on the fantasy that is the current music industry. When I can buy and download one song at a time, that's when I'll start buying music again (30 cents per song would be a nice price).

Bottom line, don't p2p until the RIAA gets off the warpath.

23. zimpal

zimpal Private First Class

Grow up. Be polite. Expand your horizons. Learn to spell.
    There's a huge body of work that's in the public domain.
    Time sorts out the good stuff. The crap evaporates long before copyright protection ends.
    Judging the intelligence of a stranger is in itself an actual demonstration of stupidity.

24. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

As far as I'm concerned it all falls under one heading..........

There is and never will be any true privacy on the Internet.......

End of story m8.

Wraith

25. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

U aiming this at me?

26. ladee_katt

ladee_katt Private E-2

Hmmm, all because of a silly p2p question?

Illegal, perhaps, but the only people the RIAA are protecting in this particular case is the record company. The artists of whom I speak want their newer fans who have yet to hear their older music to download it. As I said before, like so many others out there, they would rather their fans d/l for free, than be charged by some off beat a**hole to d/l the music for free, make copies, and then turn around and sell it on ebay and such!! I checked ebay recently, and found copies of the albums, (claiming to be original) that were selling for as high as $200+!! That, in my opinion, should be considered an injustice!

Unfortunate, really. The artists were once quite open about directing newer fans to d/l their music.....was even once on their FAQ page of their fan based web site! But that too has had to be removed (their recommendation to d/l old music), for fear of the RIAA looking to them as a co-conspirator.

My view on the RIAA is this. The term 'fear tactic', is just that, a tactic. As with any other group of majority, all you need to do is inject fear into that group, and they will take heed. Of course there have to be a few examples, for if there weren't, no one would believe. But as was said before, they don't have the $ to sue everyone who ever d/l'd a song. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean you won't be tomorrow's example.

Thank you for all of the input! I have learned more because of it. I have also learned of alternatives to p2p that I didn't know of. I think I'm becoming addicted to this forum......intelligent verbal sparring is just the icing on the cake, lol!! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds