Cain and Able Trojan reported

Discussion in 'Software' started by fateye, Sep 22, 2009.

1. fateye

fateye Private E-2

I have used majorgeeks for a while before I joined the group.It has been a great help. Today for the first time I got a bnt small trojan when I downloaded cain and able from the majorgeeks website. fateye FYI

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Re: New to MG Forums

Thanks for the info. We'll look into it.

Welcome to the forums. :)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Thanks for the notification, however this is a false positive as this application like many other ones in similar ilk to deal with password cracking, packet sniffing of network data etc cab be flaged by some AV application as malware as mention due to there design.

Avast tends to pick this app up as Win32:Cain-b[tool], doesn't now in latest version iirc, but other avs could pick it up as other names, but well documented that this is a legit network admin tool, similar to legitimate keylogging tools.

All downloads on Majorgeeks are tested for their quality and being malware free, which is why we have a selection of software and not everything that's available to be downloaded like many sites.

Many thanks for the post but honestly this app is fine and legitimate, btw what is your antivirus software that flagged this?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds