want to reconfigure my RAID array

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mabcc, Nov 6, 2005.

1. mabcc

mabcc Private E-2

I had a server built for me a couple of yrs ago that includes a pair of 160GB ATA HD's and a Promise TX2000 RAID card. The machine was originally (and continues to be) configured for mirroring. Turns out I don't really need the mirroring, as I just use it as a regular PC; I would be much more interested in doubling my disk space, and from what I've read of the RAID card documentation I could accomplish this (in theory) by reconfiguring the array in either striped or spanned mode. I'm running Win2K server and while I'm at it would like to replace 2K server with XP Pro.

I haven't played with RAID before and the documentation doesn't talk about what to do if you want to change your config, i.e., should I delete the array first, then reconfigure it, or simply walk through the automatic configuration procedure, which one will be the boot drive and can I safely delete all the data from the other (non-boot) drive? I also want to know what the risk is that the data I haven't already backed up - 100GB of music files - will be lost in the reconfiguration. It doesn't need to be a sure thing - if there's a reasonable chance that I can get through this without losing those files, then I'll go for it.

I had a great experience here yesterday - someone helped me get rid of one of those browser hijack programs. Hoping there's someone available to guide me through this challenge. Thanks.

Martin

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds