Laptop internet issues - Firefox running extremely slow and not loading some pages

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by panic1978, Aug 4, 2009.

1. panic1978

panic1978 Private E-2

My laptop has recently started acting up when it comes to using the internet. I have tried unplugging the router and clearing cookies. Firefox is loading pages extremely slow and will not load some pages like Facebook at all. Please help me if you can. Thanks!

2. Re: Laptop internet issues - Firefox running extremely slow and not loading some page

You cleared out just your cookies?
    In Firefox press Crtl + Shift + Del you shall them be prompted with the catagories for tempory files to do with FF, clear all the ones you deam you can (maybe not passwords).
    Once you have done that lets do a quick little maintenance run on your machine just to make sure they is nothing else bogging down FF.

Click Start then Run (or Windows Key + R) then type Cleanmgr and hit enter. It may take a while to do the first stage where it is organising the files it can deal with especially if you havn't done this for a long time.
    Once this is done check all the types of files you wish to clear and click ok to delete those files.

Do you have anything like SmileyCentral or web search bars installed? If so lets type removing/disabling them. Start -> Control Panel -> (Set to classic view) -> Add/Remove Programs. Thumb through the list and remove any of the earlier mentioned types of programs.

Also I suggest you run Spybot search and Destroy and an Anti Viral check on your machine just to be safe.

Please tell me if any of this works or what the situation is like when you have done this and from there we can batt on with some more ideas :)

Good Luck.

Antony.

3. panic1978

panic1978 Private E-2

Re: Laptop internet issues - Firefox running extremely slow and not loading some page

Things still seem to be running slow especially on Facebook. My Desktop speed seems to be okay. There is a little lag loading pages on laptop and some facebook pages wont load at all.

So far I have done what you ask ... plus:

Firefox just loaded a new version on my laptop - and it said something about the password bank not responding.

I ran superantispyware last night and it quarantined:
    multiple adware tracking cookies and one trojan.dropper/gen

Today superantispyware and McAfee Security Center (provided by Comcast) have detected zero items.

I also ran CCleaner last night.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds