Windows Validation Tool

Discussion in 'Software' started by wenpeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. wenpeek

wenpeek Private E-2

How do I uninstall the Windows Validation Tool? I've looked in add/remove programs but it's not listed. Any suggestions?

2. skippy258

skippy258 Private E-2

Hi the RemoveWGA.exe simply checks if the WgaLogon.dll is loaded into Winlogon.exe. If so, it offers you to remove the WGA notification tool. To do so, it sets both System32WgaLogon.dll and System32WgaTray.exe files to be deleted by Windows at the next reboot, and add an entry to start itself. After the reboot, RemoveWGA.exe deletes all WGA notification.

For more info on this tool go here:

http://www.elecboy.com/

Download tool here

I have not tryed this tool but I have read it works a charm

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Do note that without the validation tool, you will be unable to get Windows updates, or most of the free software Microsoft offers their customers.

It's the notification tool that was a real problem. It would send information to Microsoft on every boot of the computer. It was installed under false pretenses, and included no way to remove it. It fit the very definition of malware. I don't think MS pushes this out to clients anymore. However, if you do have this software on your system, using removeWGA will do the trick.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

RemoveWGA is available at Major Geeks.:major
    Always search MG first, instead of listing other links.

RemoveWGA 1.2
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/RemoveWGA_d5170.html

Bazza

===

5. skippy258

skippy258 Private E-2

Sorry MG I did not know you had this file on your sight and i did not want to point it out if i did as M$ is trying to inforce any websight that has this file installed on there system to remover it.

This is what i find on some sights that have the tool. e.g. (link forbidden) this as well

Microsoft taking control back of his WGA

RemoveWGA forbidden :

Microsoft complained to my webhoster about RemoveWGA.exe hosted in my tool folder, and put pressure to make me remove it. I'm obliged to comply and have no choice about it.

I don't quite understand them as RemoveWGA is only designed to help the users who have a legit Windows copy. Moreover, RemoveWGA is now widespread and is available from many mirrors and in various P2P networks.

They probably want to send a message, but I'm unsure if it will be really beneficial at the end. I let everyone makes his own opinion.

But in future I will look up MG software first..

Sorry if i upset any MG staff as you all do a great job.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I use this custom search to check out if a program is listed on MG.:cool
    I also have it saved as a Favourite.

http://www.google.com/custom?domain...V:#336699;VLC:663399;AH:center;BGC:FFFFFF;LBG

Just replace "101clips" with the name of the program you are looking for and <enter> ;)

I am not a member of the MG staff, just addicted. :D :D :D Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds