New toy showed up! Garmin Edge 305

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fred_G, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I got this for me getting back into shape on my bike. It is a 'cyclocomputer'. It is nice! Fred approves of this device so far!:-D Speedometer works with me outside walking. No pesky spoke sensors and the stuff that attracts tree limbs, it works on GPS!

It can charge off a USB or your basic home plug. Gonna try the heart rate monitor next!

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=331

Got mine for a little less $.

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Oh, that is a sexy little gadget. Work-out absolutely rule. They make working out so much more fun...! :strong

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I can watch my heart rate as I post as well. 73bpm :-D

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Neat gizmo Fred, now gets me wondering why their is no add-on dynamo thingy for cycles so that items like this that are USB could be recharged or run via your peddling!

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, are you going to wear that when going into clubs to rate the gals with your bpm?:p:-D:) Me thinks the answer would be no.;)

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I don't go to clubs much augie, will remember to take it off it I do! Would be kinda fun. If an unattractive chick hit on me I could pull out the 'puter and just say, nope, you ain't got it!

Halo, some stuff like that is made, but it is cost prohibitive because you would need to replace the hub on one of the wheels. Plus, more sensors and cables on the bike create more chances for Murphy to stop by. I have enough to do staying on the saddle and in between the trees! :cool One of the reasons I splurged on this is that it is wireless. Tells me my speed using GPS, not sensors on the bike.

It does recharge via USB or wall plug.

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Used my new toy today riding on the levee! I was stupid and did not press the start button, so it did not record my ride!:-o I did slow down and at one point my heart rate was a little over 180BPM. The display is too small for watching while off-road, but for rode rides it will be nice. I love that I can download my ride (if I press the freakin' start button) and view speed, elevation, heart rate. There is a way to merge it with Google Earth I think. Fun little gadget.

It does boot kinda slow. Takes it a while to acquire all the GPS satellite signals. Once I am a little more familiar with it, I will look for firmware updates.:-D Dang, I have the current firmware.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  8. augiedoggie

LOL Fred, you worried about the 'start' button? 180 bpm is the max unless you're having a heart attack!:p:-D Take it easy man.;)

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Garmin says my max is 185bpm. The Garmin is cruel, and wants to kill me. :-D

I am OK at that level. That is why this thing is so much fun, once I figure out the start button thingy, I can track heart rate, speed, where I am.... fun toy. :-D 180bpm was after a sprint, so that is high level, not average bpm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exercise_zones.png

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  10. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I have a friend who has been running marathons for a long time now, who keeps saying she hates gadgets like these because they turn everyone who is enthusiastic about exercising into a geek.

I keep asking her what's wrong with that. LOL

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What is wrong with Geek, as long as you are having fun!

Call me a Geek, but is so nice to have a speedometer that does not require a spoke mounted magnet and a sensor mounted on the fork. I swear every tree limb aimed for that sucker on my old setup! If you mountain bike, a lot of times, less is so much more better!

Did they card you for that Merlot Mimsy? :-D

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Gotcha fred, and indeed staying on the bike is paramount ;) just more thinking that not many USB or Wallplugs in the desert or forrests.

13. augiedoggie

I was just thinking, what if the GPS sats all of a sudden quit working. We'd have to resort to the ancient ways of using a map and compass, actually counting the revs the wheel turns and stopping to count your bpm while chanting 'one one thousand, two one thousand...'. Gawd, the inhumanity of it all! I'll take the Garmin.:-D

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I am down with this map you speak of Augie. But a 'compass'? What is this ancient thing you speak of? :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds