Broadcom 802.11g wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jawa Slayer, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Jawa Slayer

Jawa Slayer Corporal

Hi, I got a new laptop today with this adapter built in. All everything is connected fine but it won't detect my network, it sees both my neighbour's networks, but not mine. £ other computers in my house can detect it, so why not the laptop? The router is a Netgear DG834G and the 3 computers connected to it are all Netgear too.
    Any reason why the broadcom adapter would't see my router?
    Cheers

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What model & manufacturer of laptop, and are you using WEP or WPA on the Router? The simple thing to look for is if the Wifi adapter light is lit up on the laptop. If it is a Compaq/Hp notebook, you would have a blue light that has an icon next to it that looks like a lollipop silkscreen icon. Same color for Gateway.

I would make sure that the Wifi Adapter is Enabled, or otherwise it would never work.

3. Jawa Slayer

Jawa Slayer Corporal

Hi,
    Its an Acer notebook. I know the adapter is switched on and is working as it works and conects to my friend's router, and at my house it picks up 3 of my neighbours' networks, just not mine.
    ???

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Do you have SSID broadcast turned on or off on your home Wifi?

5. Jawa Slayer

Jawa Slayer Corporal

its turned on, 3 computers in my house pick it up automatically, but not this notebook...

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What about MAC or IP Filtering? One thing to try is go into Hardware and remove the Broadcom from the Properties by Uninstalling, and then reboot and let the OS find it again.

Another thing to do, which I have had to do is assign a Static IP and input the SSID in to Wireless properties when I have had problems. Also try turning everything off if you have not done yet, and reboot in this order: Modem, Router, Wired Computer, and then the Notebook having problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds