"Screen Saver" vs "Sleep" What's the Difference?

Discussion in 'Software' started by writermom, May 26, 2006.

1. writermom

writermom Private E-2

sorry if this question is lame--
    Got a message from Dell support saying that I don't have a screen saver (true) and that I'll ruin my monitor if I don't use one. Well, my computer goes to "sleep" after ten minutes of inactivity. I thought that was sufficient. Isn't it? What's the difference? Should I have a screen saver? (I find them annoying, thus I let the computer "sleep" instead.)

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Its sufficient, but annoying IMHO.

During the old days (though some say that even now, this is still the case), if one didn't have a screen saver, you can cause a burn in. I.E. if nothing was moving on the screen, after quite a bit of time, that image will always appear on the screen.

To be safe, just use a screen saver, which most operating systems have pre-installed.

If you are using XP, simply RIGHT CLICK on the DESKTOP. Click properties, then select the "screen saver" tab and choose the one you want.

I haven't had a burn in (Knocking on wood) in 3 years. I don't run any sort of screen saver, nor do I power down my CRT monitor. But, this is ONE personal experience.

Also, from your post, it sound like you have power saving options turned on.

This can be turned off, by, going to the screen saver tab (as mentioned above), then selecting the power button. Now where it states "Turn off monitor", you can change it to NONE, or whatever you deem necessary.

3. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

When I'm not going to be at my computer for a while, but don't want to shut it down(have a scan scheduled or the like) I just turn off the monitor.
    Then when I'm 'back' I turn it back on.
    I don't use 'sleep' or a 'screensaver'

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

I forgot to mention I do this on occasion. To save on the electric bill. A few pennies here and there helps!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds