CCleaner and Registry deletion

Discussion in 'Software' started by Matth3w, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

I installed CCleaner last night and checked the box to have it show prompt to backup registry issues, if I had any.

Well it certainly didnt give me a prompt and now when I start up the computer I get the message that the registry was missing values that had to be recovered from an old version to start up the computer, three times. I havent noticed anything wrong but that is definately annoying.

How can I fix it, without re-installing windows?

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

This is indeed strange normally it should not only give the option to create a "back-up" of the registry before it fixes things but also give you the option of where to "save it". I would suggest that you do a "Search" through the start menu and look for reg backups like these listed below (pic). It should start with "cc..............." and have a date and time stamp. I personally use Lexun RegscrubXP for registry clean-up:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Lexun_RegScrubXP_d2048.html

If you find the file then you can right click on it and "Merge" to restore it.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

i definately dont have that. first thing i did was a search for *.reg, thinking that the program automatically backed it up somewhere without asking me where to save it to.

it figures, too, because normally in the past on my desktop in the States I keep these copies of reg backups without ever needing them, and now that i need it, it never asked me.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well the only other suggestion of the top of the head is to go back to a previous "restore point" and resort to a previous state, uninstall CCleaner and reinstall it more cautiously. You should use the other app mentioned wrt reg issues and ccleaner to get rid of crap.

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Corporal

i have system restore turned off so i guess im screwed

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay well I would enable system restore from now on, the reasons many say to turn it off are far outweighed by the "just in case" scenario. Don't do anything drastic as yet (reinstall OS) as I will do a bit more research and see if I can turn anything up and others may have input.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds