General FPS Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by sam988, Feb 4, 2008.

1. sam988

sam988 Private E-2

I got some weird problem here. My computer is: Q6600 Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2, GF8600 GT, and on and on...

The problem is that i constantly have my games running with fewer FPS than expected, like Counter Strike 1.6 (which should run more than smoothly, runs sometimes in the range of 10-50 fps), Unreal Tournament 2004 (sometimes also runs with lower FPS), Counter Strike Condition Zero (same as CS 1.6). These are the ones i've tested, i'm yet to install some other games but i'll probably have the same FPS problems too.

What's weird is that all i need to do to solve the problem is to exit and restart the games as many times as it's needed until it starts normally with expected FPS (normally every 3 times i start a game, it starts well 1 time).

So what the hell is the problem here? I was going fine with starting them many times until i installed UT 2004 and besides the FPS problem, when it's running with expected FPS it has some constant mini freezes, which makes it very annoying to play.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

2. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

Well I'd say the quad core is prime suspect. It is pretty new technology and most of those games are pre dual core almost and probably don't take advantage of multi processors.

When I've built gaming rigs recently, I stick to dual core and spend a bit more on the graphics card, and in hindsight, you'd have been better off with dual core and an 8800. I also think 2 GB RAM is plenty, especially on XP which won't 'see' the full 4 GB anyway

3. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds