Low memory usage anti virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by mc_eng2002, Jan 11, 2012.

1. mc_eng2002

mc_eng2002 Private E-2

Hi,
    I'm just after a bit of advice about which anti virus members would recommend to use?
    I've always been a staunch supporter of AVG and still put it on moderner machines however "old faithfull" at work has really started to struggle since we put on avg free 2011, It takes ages to do anything.. We've never installed anything else recently and always scan for malware and virus's so I know it isn't anything to do with that.
    I was just wondering what members thoughts were on a good anti virus that wasn't as memory resident.
    Computer is running Windows XP Pro,
    it's a Athlon Dual Core 64 4400+
    2GB Ram
    Thanks in advance

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

You may hear different on this answer,but 2 of my computers have Avast Free and 2 have Microsoft Security Essentials. The MSE does really well on the 2 older machines (xp pro spk3). On the other 2 Avast Free uses very little. I would say go with MSE on "old faithfull",,but that's just my opinion!!!!

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , what is avg version do you have in you machine ? Avira antivir is another solution !! :wave

4. mc_eng2002

mc_eng2002 Private E-2

AVG 2011 free edition?? I've heard elsewhere that it does slow down older computer, just thought I'd ask the experts ;)

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

This tool will help you to uninstall the avg

http://techdows.com/2010/10/download-avg-2011-removal-tool.html

because there is many left overs to your machine if you uninstall it without this tool , you could watch this video

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-speed-up-your-pc

speeding up your machine , another thinking of me is to download this utility ensuring if your hdd is faulty or not

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

do all that my friend !! :wave

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I personally swear by Comodo Antivirus. It has run great on some of my (much) older machines. It's a very minimalistic usage program with some of the best protection and options for dealing with files you are okay with.

7. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

mcsmc,I forgot about good 'ol Comodo,,it is actually made for systems with only as much as 128mb of RAM. Good choice with Comodo!!!!;);)

8. mc_eng2002

mc_eng2002 Private E-2

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the responses, just a quick update, computer is now running security essentials and that has made all the world of difference.
    Once again guys thank you very much :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds