install realtek hd audio driver failure !!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrfettucini, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

I cloned my hard drive to a new computer and got everything working except for the sound card. When I try to install the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver software that came with my new computer, I get the message "install realtek hd audio driver failure !!"

In the Device Manager there is an Unknown Device under Sound, video and game controllers. When I click Update Driver nothing happens, and when I try to uninstall it it says "failed to uninstall the device. the device may be required to boot up the computer."

I've search these errors a lot and talked to a few people and it the consensus seems to be that when I first booted up the new computer with the cloned hard drive Windows probably tried to install its own driver, which is blocking the Realtek audio driver from being installed, and which cannot be undone without completely reinstalling Windows. The reason I cloned the hard drive in the first place was to avoid this because it would take me months to reinstall and re-customize this machine. I understand that this is generally the best thing to do, but would really like to find a way to just fix this, as it would be a huge timesaver. I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 and have run Windows Update.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

3. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

I am fairly certain that Realtek HD is what I need because it is the software that came with the computer, but I started to install Everest anyway and got this message:

"This computer seems to have an Intel ICH8 south bridge.
    The current version of EVEREST you are running does not fully support your system."

It did let me run a report though, which is attached.

Thanks very much,
    Mike

Attached Files:

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, that driver should work. It took a little searching because there was some missing specs in you Everest report. (Don't understand that) But you have the ALC268 sound card and that works with the Realtek Hi-Def Driver I posted before.

5. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

Thanks, but I tried it and still get the same message: "install realtek hd audio driver failure !!". That driver does appear to be the same one that came on my driver cd with my computer.

I'm pretty sure that Windows installed it's own driver, which is showing as an Unknown device under Sound, video and game controllers, and blocking this one from being installed now. Any thoughts on how to uninstall it through the registry or something?

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Goto the Device Manager and highlight that driver you suspect and right-click then uninstall it. Then try re-installing the Realtek.

7. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

In the Device Manager there is an Unknown Device under Sound, video and game controllers. When I click Update Driver nothing happens, and when I try to uninstall it it says "failed to uninstall the device. the device may be required to boot up the computer."

I can't figure out a way to get rid of it so that I can install the Realtek drivers.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

OK, I found the drivers at the Bizcom site (Compal) http://www.bizcom-us.com/support/
    Scroll down to nearly the bottom looking for Model IFL90 / IFL91. (see screenshot) Click on the audio drivers (I circled the ones you need) They are in a .zip file so you will have to extract them and double click the set-up.exe file (see the second screenshot)

Attached Files:

9. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

I really appreciate the help, but that looks like the same driver as the other two that I have tried. I did try it as well, and still got the "install realtek hd audio driver failure !!" error.

It really seems like the problem is that Windows installed it's own driver, which is blocking any new driver from being installed now. In the Device Manager it is showing as an Unknown device under Sound, video and game controllers. It appears that the only way we could install a new driver is to remove this one, but as I mentioned, when I click Update Driver nothing happens, and when I try to uninstall it it says "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."

I think we need to figure out how to get this out of there, right?

Thanks very much,
    Mike

10. jd_boggs

jd_boggs Private E-2

I have exactly the same problem. My Realtek device is on an MSI mother board.
    The reason for my reply is to add that there is another mention of HD Audio in the device manager under System Devices. Called Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio.

I then searched Microsoft Knowledge Base for:UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio and got an article with a reference to an UAA Bus Driver with at version 10 and 10a. But when I looked at my UAA Bus Driver it was at 5.10.0.5010 and date 3/5/2004. It also mentions registry modification. I did NOT try this I'm too cautious. Maybe someone has more information.

11. tsmith35

tsmith35 Private E-2

I had almost the same issue installing WDM_R183 (Realtek High Definition Audio Driver). I finally figured out a solution that worked for me:

1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, video & game controllers.
    Now for the part that had me stuck:
    3a) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers
    3b) Click on the Properties tab
    3c) Select any sound device listed here and click the Remove button
    4) Restart Windows and retry the installation.

I'd post a screenshot showing step 3c, but now that the HD audio driver is installed, the Properties tab doesn't show anything (no entries).

I hope this helps you out. It may not, but looks like you've tried about everything else already.

Tom

12. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Private E-2

I got it! In the Device Manager under System devices I uninstalled the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. When I did this it removed the Unknown device under the Sound, video and game controllers, and then I was able to install the Realtek drivers.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I hope this thread can help other people in the future.

Regards,
    Mike

13. jd_boggs

jd_boggs Private E-2

Thanks for the tip. I fixed mine also by using your steps.

Thanks.

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ tsmith35..... Great post! Thanks for the help. I haven't really run into a problem like that before and now I know what the cure is.
    Hats off to you.[​IMG]

15. Bigbird999

Bigbird999 Private E-2

Almost the same issue, but I have 2 instances of the UAA hd audio bus driver. One can be removed but the other gives me a warning that the device cannot be uninstalled because the dependents will not allow it. This can happen if the device is required for boot up. Can anybody suggest a next step. I really don't want to reformat my HTPC

I am still getting the exclamation mark next to the audio device on the HD audio bus, and Cannot uninstall ir update the drivers.

Thanks in advance

BB

16. jd_boggs

jd_boggs Private E-2

Bigbird,

I got the same message you did but I ignored it and chose "disable" driver first then chose "uninstall". To do this right click on Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. Then I ran the executable file to install the new driver. This works.

17. Bigbird999

Bigbird999 Private E-2

jdboggs THANK YOU!!!!!

After disabling the UAA device, I tried everything (I thought) to get the Realtek driver to install, to no avail. I gave up at 2 am resolving to stick with the crappy old (10 yr) crystal fusion card for audio on my brand new ATI 690 HDMI mobo. I got up this morning, read your post and after disabling the UAA device I hit the uninstall button and it worked!! Installed the Realtek driver, rebooted and, voila, onboard sound is working.

In the process of getting this working, I discovered that the second instance of the UAA device was the HDMI sound. So now I have (after 3 months of pain) an Asus M2aVM HDMI mobo that works as advertised.

So in tsmith's post above, step 2
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, video & game controllers. add the following- if you can't uninstall the device, try disabling it first. That's what worked for me

Hope this helps somebody else.

Thanks again

BB

18. tsmith35

tsmith35 Private E-2

So the procedure would be as follows, with BB's addition:

1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, video & game controllers. If you cannot remove the device, try disabling it first, then retry removing it.
    Now for the part that had me stuck:
    3a) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers
    3b) Click on the Properties tab
    3c) Select any sound device listed here and click the Remove button
    4) Restart Windows and retry the installation.

You may need to remove any instances of the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio listed under System devices as well.

BTW, Happy New Year!

Tom

19. caddelite

caddelite Private E-2

Oh my god...I love you! :D

Thank you so much for your detailed posts on how to fix the problem, we just bought the motherboard today and have been trying to fix the problem for hours! :celebrate

I registered just to say THANK YOU!!

20. Evil

Evil Private E-2

i would like to say... YOUR A BLOODY LEGEND
    im a css player decided to format due to a virus damaging my install, slept while it formatted got up did all the usuall ms stuff n my sound driver wouldnt install i got worried google'd what ti said and found this
    seriously the guy who fond out how to stop it is legend tbf!
    although this has changed my looks on raltek thanks alot :D
    in device manage i had a problem said something about starting up can't member what exactly but basicly all i did was disable then unninstall then install my drivers :D

21. scenegull

scenegull Private E-2

Just wanted to add my THANKS to all who contributed to this post. A-Plus Job!!!:major

22. milanesta

milanesta Private E-2

Thank YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :drool

23. nufan1987

nufan1987 Private E-2

ohhh k please help i have tried everything and i still get " Instsall realtek HD Audo driver Failure!!"
    on my drivers screen as shown (drivers.jpeg) i have
      • Audio Codecs
      • Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus
      • Legacy Audio Drivers
      • Legacy Video Capture Devices
      • Media Control Devices
      • Video Codecs

When i try to uninstall the Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus, it says it is needed to reboot the system.
    I have tried disabling it, and then trying to uninstall it but to no avail.
    I have then removed the Legacy Audio Drivers devices, but everytime i click ok, i go back into it and they are there again.

I have tried to install the realtek driver again when its disabled, when its enabled, when the legacy driver devices are removed, but nothing is working... any help PLEASE!

Attached Files:

24. tsmith35

tsmith35 Private E-2

Do you have "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" listed in your System devices? Also, have you gone through Add/Remove Programs and made sure any and all audio drivers/packages are uninstalled?

25. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I am not totally sure why everyone is having problems with the Realtek HD drivers. One thing I read says an update for the UAA is causing this problem. I have seen several cures that don't work for everyone. I read at MS that this may be because of a registry entry that is not deleting when uninstalling the Realtek folders in the procedure below.

2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers
    4) Click on the Properties tab
    5) Select any sound device listed here and click the Remove button
    6) Restart Windows and retry the installation.

This reg fix is supposed to enable the driver package to install. (I have not seen it used yet) Try this before installing your driver. (Set a Restore point)

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

Let me know if it works.

26. nufan1987

nufan1987 Private E-2

there is no Microsoft UAA Bus Driver For High Definition Audo and i have uninstalled all realtek packages...

as for changing the registry, does that void warranty?

we just had the computer fixed, something to do with the power supply, could they have knocked the soundcard or something.. i dont know.

also when
    i click on the Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus, it says

"No drivers are installed for this device.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

and when i click on driver details it says no driver required?

sorry if im not being clear guys, not great with this side of computers, if it were a photoshop problem it would be fixed :p

27. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It shouldn't void the warranty, as your are editing out a Windows update reg entry (you have already uninstalled the package it refers to). AND you will set a Restore point which will add it back in, if you make a mistake.
    Have you got the proper chipset drivers installed? That may also be a cause of your problems.

If you continue to have troubles with the install, start a new thread, as it is easier to deal with one person per thread instead of having a mish-mash of posts.

28. inf64

inf64 Private E-2

Hi guys.I wanted to say a BIG THANKS to all of ya here.You solved it together and you have my deepest gratitude for this!

Let me just say what worked out for me(from the above mentioned steps).I'm on the new Asus M3A mobo,AM2+,RD770 chipset,Realtek 883 sound chip onboard.

I basically tried everything to no avail.I then read the above quoted post and disabled the damn thing in System Devices
    *note:NOT SOUND AND VIDEO,but System).Then i didn't try to install the patch from MS again,but str8 went to latest Realtek 1.84 driver which in turn skipped the damn(sorry for this word :( ,i was soo pissed till now) failure notice and went to install those patches by itself!I could see the Installation of KB888xxx going on and then some other thing quickly popped out and was gone.This finished the installation and needed a reboot.
    So now we know that the issue is that during the installation the installer MUSTN'T see that UAA device under System Devices(hence we disable it first and kill it by pressing delete which in turns kills the other High Def Device in Sound and Video section!!!).Now it has a free passage(the installer) to pull his own stuff from Realtek folder and continue as it should without interference!

Thanks again too all of ya!You guys cracked this one too!Good work :major :wave

29. nufan1987

nufan1987 Private E-2

k cool, so how do i do a restore point?
    and the sound was working fine before we sent it to get fixed... we got it back and when i plugged the speakers in it wasnt registering like it would usually ask which plug i put in. So i uninstalled realtek and what not and now yeah cant re-install it with previous stated problems

i have all the cd's so yeah re-format might be another option :cry

30. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

First have you tried this step?
    Then tried installing the audio driver?

If you did that and it failed to install, create your restore point and try the reg fix, then install the driver.
    Goto Start>Help and Support, click "undo changes to your computer with System Restore", check "Create a Restore Point", then "Next", name it, and "Create. You restore by doing the same steps, except you "Restore" to an earlier point, instead of Create

31. n9jcv

n9jcv Private E-2

QUICK FIX - found this on another site - 2 minutes and I was done
    Works fine

Chicky
    Thu Jan 10 06:44:59 PST 2008

If you have not gotten your driver situation straight, this will work:
    Go into Device Manager, under the system folder, right click the ms uaa
    high definition bus driver. disable the device and uninstall it. you
    will be able to load the realtek driver. reboot and enjoy your hd
    audio! it is that simple.

--
    Chicky

32. reefsmacker

reefsmacker Private E-2

I too have registered just to say thanks.
    I have a new Gigabyte motherboard and have been ripping my hair out for hours.

Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds