USB no longer works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Evanhoe, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Evanhoe

Evanhoe Private First Class

Hi All,
    I recently had to change the battery on my PAP800 Deluxe Mobo (What a crock),Of course I could'nt find instructions about this,in the Asus User's Manual!Very little space to do so,I disconnected the small wire plug just above (On the left side of the battery holder),and proceeded to take out the old battery,with a small screwdriver to pry it out (since there did'nt seem any other way to do so!).I then proceeded to reinsert that small plug,and to my great surprise,this was not a single plug,but 3 or 4 smaller ones.I plugged them back in as best I could,and rebooted the Puter,and of course just my luck,both my external HD and USB Flash drive no longer works.Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Apparently, the wires you disconnected to allow easier access to the battery are the wires for the USB ports on front of your computer. And, you did not get them reinstalled on the right pins. This is where documentation on the motherboard is really needed.

You might get a clue as to correct matching of wires to pins by carefully looking for pin numbers imprinted on the motherboard near the pins and on the connectors on the wires. Otherwise, I think you really need to find some documentation. I'm not familiar with ASUS site and don't have the patience to deal with it's sluggish response, so I can't help you there.

What about your the USB ports on back of your computer? Have you tried your external HD and USB Flash drive on them?

3. Evanhoe

Thanks usafveteran,
    I'll check this out and report back.You got that right about Asus.com slowness,Specially on Dialup like I have.

4. Evanhoe

Hi usafveteran,

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I can't say with absolute certainty but I believe not; it simply won't work if you don't have the wires correctly connected.

Regarding the pin numbering that might be imprinted on the motherboard, a magnifying glass can be helpful in finding them. And, some extra light may be helpful, depending on the situation. If the motherboard has some pin numbers imprinted on it, the numbering may not include all pins; it might simply have, for example, #1 and one other one marked.

If you don't have any luck getting those wires connected, here's an option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166001. This card installs in a PCI slot and provides two extra USB ports on back of your computer and also has pins on it for front port wiring. Note that, if you have it in a slot next to another PCI card, there isn't much room to connect those wires; so, it works best if you can have an empty slot next to it.

Edit: Oops, I see you're in Canada. newegg.com does not ship to Canada. I took a look on www.tigerdirect.ca; they have plenty of USB PCI cards but I did not find one with pins for wiring front ports. Well, yet another solution would be to install a USB PCI card to add some ports on back and run one or two USB extension cables around the computer so that they are accessible without having to reach to the back of the computer.

6. Evanhoe

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Excellent. Glad to hear problem resolved.

By the way, to complete a quote in the forum, using the quotation codes, you need to put [/quote] at the end. The / mark must be inside those brackets. Or, just highlight the text you want to quote and then click on the quote button at the top of the message composition panel. It's the third button from the right end of the bottom row, to the left of the # sign.

8. Evanhoe

at the end. The / mark must be inside those brackets. Or, just highlight the text you want to quote and then click on the quote button at the top of the message composition panel. It's the third button from the right end of the bottom row, to the left of the # sign.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip usafveteran,I'm always willing to learn and improve.The way I try to Quote that way,is to try to reply to specific points,of sometimes really large responses from helpers.
    BTW,I had to use a Twizzer to reinsert those 4 small plugs in the Mobo.Not much space to work in there with large fingers(Smile).Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds