HP Touchsmart Possible driver issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by HistoryGirl, Dec 31, 2010.

1. HistoryGirl

HistoryGirl Private E-2

Firstly, not sure this is the right place to post this but it does kind of involve drivers.

We have a HP Touchsmart IQ770.uk PC which is about 5 years old (I think). Its running Vista but my plan is remove it and go back to XP as it is running really slowly and my mum wants vista removed from it if possible.

I figured I would be able to find the necessary drivers for XP on the hp website, however when I visited the site the only XP driver listed was something for the lightscribe.

So my questions are 1. is it worth going back to XP? 2. Will I be able to find the drivers? and 3. Is it worth maybe buying more RAM for it? It currently has 2GB and does run very slowly at times.

Any help and/or suggestions would be great

Many thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Yes its possible to go back to XP but may take a while to find the drivers (not all are available and some like audio are a pain to find, so trial and error maybe the only route, this could take a while), but the main issue is your mum would loose the main selling point of that PC in its Touch capability as you wont find the driver for that, its a Vista and above thing.

Yeah if it will take more ram then Vista will benefit from that, but check that it can take more ram and the Crucial scan HERE (use the Scan my System option) could help with that.

First off try the cleaning steps HERE and after finishing and a reboot, is it better? if not continue below.

Then what you could try is booting to Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and does the PC work better, it wont look graphically very good, but the purpose of this test is to see if 3rd party applications are causing the slowness?

Also as over time we add more applications, thus many more add to the startup list of Windows and this can cause slowness, so please run the below and attach the log as written, then we can see if that PC has startups that can be disabled. (the application to disable them is this one StartupCPL) once we post if any can be disabled.

3. HistoryGirl

HistoryGirl Private E-2

Thank you for the reply. I have done some of those things already like ccleaner and startup programs etc. I will completely the steps and let you know

Thanks for the help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds