XP Realtek no sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by jukeboxmusic, Feb 12, 2008.

1. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Ok so i'll start from the very beginning. I bought a PC, it had Vista pre installed on it, but now i've decided to put XP on it.

Link to the PC

Its a realtek soundcard, i've tried installing the driver from that website and it doesn't work. I've tried other drivers and they don't work. If anyone could help thanks.

I had it working last night, after a couple of days of just trying everything but i reinstalled XP again today, so again the same problems just with the sound.

It device manager i can the see PCI device with the yellow question and exclamation mark next to it.

Thanks.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

First, uninstall the PCI device in Device Manager and shut down then re-boot.
    Did that fix it?

Is the Windows Audio service running?
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find Windows Audio
    Open up Windows Audio by double clicking
    Make sure it is running, if not, start it.

Set a restore point.
    Install the XP chipset drivers for your board: (These are from Packard Bell.)
    nv_mcp61_chipset457.exe

Follow these steps all the way through;
    1) Uninstall the Realtek software through Add/Remove Programs (if it's installed but not working)
    2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.
    3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select all sound devices listed here and click the Remove button. (Do not remove Legacy or Codecs)

Uninstall the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. When you do this it should remove the Unknown device under the Sound, video and game controllers, and then you should be able to install the Realtek drivers.
    Go into Device Manager, under the system folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)

KB888111
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer. To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

Install your driver: Realtek_HDA_5391.exe
    Now do a complete shut down and re-boot.

Did that work?

4. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.

The link you posted was for the Vista chipset driver, so i just downloaded the XP one. I'm pretty sure i've already installed it, i've installed it again anyway.

I'm downloading the soundcard driver file you posted, i'll let you know if that works.

Thanks musksnipe for the other reply, if this dude's suggestion doesn't work i will move onto yours.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

"this dude" is one of the co-owners here LOL

6. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Lol cool! His suggestion didn't work :( thanks though.

7. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Nope your suggestion didn't work either :(

8. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

I don't know if this helps, but when i got it working last night i had just installed DirectX 9.0C (i've installed it), i went to bios and disabled onboard sound, enabled amd live!, went back to bios, enabled onboard sound, disabled amd live!

Then i went into device manager, right click on PCI device and disabled it. I then enabled it and it just found the drivers itself (after i had downloaded a few).

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Realtek has become a real pain to install with these backwards upgrades from Vista to XP. Some folks are getting it to work others aren't. This next step sometimes works on the ones that didn't get the first fix I gave you to work.

Scenario One
    1. In Sounds and Audio Devices you are told there is "No Audio Device"
    2. In Device Manager your Audio Device is "Working Properly" and
    3. You DO have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Right-click “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click “Update Driver”
    * Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click Next
    * Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Scenario Two
    1. In Sounds and Audio Devices you are told there is "No Audio Device"
    2. In Device Manager your Audio Device is "Working Properly" and
    3. You DON’T have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Go to the Control Panel and run “Add Hardware”
    * When the Add Hardware Wizard appears, click Next
    * Wait for it to search for new hardware
    * Choose Yes, I have already connected the hardware and click Next
    * Scroll all the way down and select “Add a new hardware device”, click Next
    * Choose “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)”, click Next
    * Select “Show All Devices” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Under Model, select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator”, click Next
    * To start installing the drivers, click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Your audio device should now be recognized in Sounds and Audio Devices.

10. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Its none of those scenarios

In Sounds and Audio Devices you are told there is "No Audio Device"
    In Device Manager this is what there is Click

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It doesn't say this when you right click on your audio device and choose properties?
    If it does try the first scenario.

BTW you don't have an add-on sound card do you?

12. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Nope it says

"No drivers are installed for this device.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

I only have that soundcard, its built into the motherboard.

13. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

I think i might just buy a new soundcard if i'm going to keep having this problem when installing XP :mad

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

15. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

I didn't follow it exactly, i'll post below why i couldn't.

2) In Device Manager, remove the high definition audio device under Sound, Video & Game controllers.

There was no high definiton audio device

3) Still in Device Manager, double-click Legacy Audio Drivers.
    4) Click on the Properties tab.
    5) Select all sound devices listed here and click the Remove button. (Do not remove Legacy or Codecs)

There was no sound devices listed

Uninstall the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio. When you do this it should remove the Unknown device under the Sound, video and game controllers, and then you should be able to install the Realtek drivers.
    Go into Device Manager, under the system folder, right click the UAA Hi-Def Bus driver.
    Disable the device and then uninstall it. (Do not re-boot yet)

This was not there

KB888111
    If you install, remove, and then re-install this update, the update is no longer listed in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Therefore, you cannot remove this update from your computer. To work around this problem, follow these steps.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP3\KB888111
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    4. Click Yes, and then exit Registry Editor.

This was not there, there wasn't even an update tab

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

In BIOS is your on-board sound enabled or set on auto?

17. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Its set as enabled.

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The only other thing I can think of checking is to see what your audio defaults are set at.
    If that doesn't help, I guess I don't have a solution for you.
    It looks like it may be go back to Vista or an add-on sound card.

19. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Lot of posts, good work Musk. Have you deleted it from device manager and rebooted?

If you buy another card, I vote for Creative X-FI, it blows Realtek out of the water. About 80 bucks.

20. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Thanks for the help anyway. I'm just going to buy a new soundcard, because its inevatible that i will have to install an OS again at some stage and i don't want to go through all that again.

I'm going to go for a cheap and cheerful 5.1 one :cool

21. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Another quick question, how do i stop my pc from bleeping? Not when it starts up, but when i install stuff when it comes up ok when its finish installing the PC bleeps. Stuff like that. It didn't do it before.

22. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It's doing that because there is no sound drivers installed. Try muting your speakers in the volume control. (Which you probably can't get to because there are no drivers) :banghead
    Look in your control panel in Sound And Audio and see if you can mute it there.

23. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Ahh! Thanks.

24. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you're still around, I am going to go back through this thread later today...... It keeps popping into my head that I missed something.

25. jukeboxmusic

jukeboxmusic Private E-2

Yep still here.

26. Chromium Draconis

Chromium Draconis Private E-2

Hey musk, thanx, your step by step worked for me. It was the plug and play thing, it didn't exist anywhere on here, that's what i get for goin to sp3 to see what it was all about :p

27. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Glad to have been some help to you. ;)

28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I came across a fix that is specifically for your problem (unknown PCI device)
    The only problem is it didn't have a great set of instructions and I am unable to test it to see exactly what steps to take.
    This is what I have:
    Download this file, unpack it into your folder of choice.
    Go to Control Panel>Device Manager>PCI Device>Update Driver> Choose the folder where you extracted it to, then you have to find the .sys file from the UAA HD Add-on folder and other .sys from Realtek's driver folder and re-boot and it'll automatically activate it.
    [​IMG] UAA HD Add-on.zip

It has worked for a couple of folks already.
    I don't really see anything else we missed in the thread. The only thing I can suggest, if this file doesn't work, is going back through and carefully re-doing steps to make sure you didn't miss anything.

29. Chris MB

Chris MB Private E-2

Musksnipe I must say a BIGGGG THANK YOU I was having trouble with my Packard Bell easy note MX37 after installing XP pro (It came with Vista Crap) NO sound followed your regedit post downloaded realtek drivers reinstalled BINGO it works thanks again
    Chris MB

30. Chris MB

Chris MB Private E-2

Musksnipe deserves a medal any of you guys with sound problems follow musksnipes postings he's bang on
    Thanks Again
    ChrisMB

31. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

aww, shucks. :eek:

Thanks for the thanks.;)

32. caressing_angel23

caressing_angel23 Private E-2

installation realtek hd audio driver failure, thats what I keep getting! I have uninstalled my windows and reinstalled it wipping my hard drive clean, what I thought would fix the problem, it has not i have done everything on this site people have suggested to do and i get an error code - installation realtek hd audio driver failure (error code 0001)
    does anyone have a clue what to do now?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  33. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

1. Reboot in safe mode
    2. Open device manager
    3. Go under system devices
    4. Disable (DO NOT UNINSTALL) the Microsoft UAA driver.
    5. Reboot in safe mode (This is so that driver will not load)
    6. Open device manager
    7. Go under system devices
    8. Now... uninstall the Microsoft UAA driver. This will also remove the Realtek.
    9. Reboot to Windows XP.
    10. Install the Realtek drivers without letting windows install it.

If this doesn't work, post a thread of your own with this info:
    A make and model # would help if your PC is not a home built.
    Or even better:
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

34. puukkosaha

puukkosaha Private E-2

Thank you musksnipe very much! I had the same Realtek driver problem but after following your simple advices, problems are gone :major.

35. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

36. MonsterTubez

MonsterTubez Private E-2

Holy Shit Musk Lets Bang Esssss Soundd Sns Fufkc Yes

37. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

:confused
    If that means thanks, then you're welcome.

PS: PG-13 site, so let's keep it clean. ;)

38. surfrock22

surfrock22 Private E-2

musksnipe, I must say.. I've had my computer for over a year now, and I've been trying to solve this problem since; thank you. I thought I had tried everything.

After reading your post, I was able to remove the PCI Device that had the yellow ! under system devices, and uninstall the windows update. Afterwords, I immediately installed my realtek drivers as instructed.

Even though the sound didn't work right away when I restarted, XP recognized that I had uninstalled the PCI Device and displayed "New Hardware" as the Microsoft UAA HD audio bus driver. I let windows check for software to install, and immediately after installing, I had sound without even a restart.

Like I said earlier, I have been at this one for over a year. I can finally use both operating systems with sound.

Thanks again, and I highly recommend to anyone who has a PCI Device listed as a ! (and you still have problems after following the instructions from musksnipe's post) to uninstall it and let windows recognize it as the Microsoft UAA HD audio bus driver and auto install. It worked for me.

39. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds