Get to a MAC from a PC challenge!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekphl, Feb 22, 2007.

1. geekphl

geekphl Private E-2

Ok I have been presented a challenge from the upper levels of management.

We have a MAC user (one of only two) who will be leaving against his will in the near future. They believe he knows this and as such may be hoarding information on his machine. They would like me to be able to copy the contents of his desktop/hard drive every few days just in case.

I know I can go to his machine and set some stuff up to make the connection work. HOWEVER they have asked I exhaust every option before I do anything that might alert him to what is going on, before I do that.

I am willing to use another mac, or Linux or even a gerbil powered Comadore 64, if need be.

Can anyone suggest any methods of gaining access without getting on the machine itself?

I am very confident I know his MAC login/password, and can reset his AD password if need be, but I can't see how the latter would help.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

install vnc tell him its a new policy to have vnc on all machines for remote maintance and observation policies, then use vnc for backup/what ever remotely.

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The thing is, you will have to install it on every machine, to make the policy stick. I do not know why offices do not use the policy of having Remote software installed, along with any backups of the desktop systems in place.

If anything, a policy should be implemented that any user's machine can be accessed at any time, or observed, without their questioning why. This cuts down on a lot of illegal activities.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

OS X has built in SSH. If its enabled....there would be a way to brute force your way in...

Still, any mentioned practices border on a grey area here.

If management really wants to take care of this, they should go in after hours after he/she leaves and sit down at the terminal and deal with it themselves.

5. pa1ndru1d

pa1ndru1d Private E-2

aren't back ups already in place? tsk tsk.. bad biz practices there. rule #1. back up!

this should be implemented for every machine in your office already!

is said machine on the network? if so, you might be able to find some MAC emulation software...

try here:http://www.thefreecountry.com/emulators/macintosh.shtml

i would probably go in after hours, yank the hd, copy it, and put it back (especially if not already on a network)

6. geekphl

geekphl Private E-2

Thanks for the replies!

I actually got pretty lucky and the guy had left early last week and just sat down and enabled file sharing for windows.

As for the comments on backups etc... I wish I lived in that ideal world...

I work for a smallish firm that got their FIRST computer about 7 years ago. No user should have ANYTHING on their desktop that is work related, it all needs to be on the server. Not only for backup reasons but most of our work references other files, AutoCAD. This is very rarely an issue with the PC people, but one of the 2 MAC people has been here over 20 years and thinks he is special. You know the guy who has a copy on is desktop and just overwrites the version on the server which 20 other people have edited and proofed. We finally managed to get about 1TB, yes 1TB of CDs he had stored onto a server, we expect there is atleast another TB in other CDs he has. I FORTUNATLY only found 100GB on his desktop but over a network connection its been slow going.

Thanks for all the help, but it was easier then I feared!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds