Firewall "stealth mode"/ hide address?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Port-O-San, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

A few years back I had an aftermarket firewall that claimed to have a "stealth mode" which was supposed to hide my web address.
    Am wondering if this was/is possible, if the firewall built into WinXPPro can do this, if so, how, and of not, will another firewall do this?
    Blessings,
    Port-O-San

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

i think the mcafee firewall on my desktop has that. i run a linux firewall on another computer tho blocking the cloud from my lan so i never tried it. i dont think the windows firewall can do that though.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I run Sygate Personal Firewall and when I went to the Symantec website to test it, I was told in the report that the stealth mode was working. Who knows??
    [​IMG]

A stealthport is safest of all. Stealth means your computer doesn't respond toport probes and you are virtually invisible to hackers scanning theInternet for potential targets. Although this is a very safe result, astealth port may cause performance problems for some Internetapplications.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If you hide your address how can you surf?

Without a valid IP number the protocol does not work and there is No communication.

The Stealth is related to open port and Not to IP address.

5. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

This site is supposed to let you visit any other site via them, therefore making it anonymous. I think it uses there IP addy insted of your own sorta thing. But as said above i dont think you could surf totally without sending your IP addy to someone.

http://www.anonymouse.org - AnonyMouse

Not sure of all the tech stuff but its in a mag I got today! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds