High CPU usage because of youtube and flash sites.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mendie, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mendie

Mendie Private E-2

Hello, I'm pretty sure people have had this problem before. But I'm having some serious CPU going to 70+ issues.

Laptop:

Windows Vista premium 32-bit
    160gb HDD
    2GB of RAM
    AMD Turion dual-core processor(1.9GHz)

Browser: Firefox 3, Opera 9.0+ and IE7.

I'm having CPU problems with all three browsers, watching youtube on any of these will make it spike to 60%+, and not only youtube, flash sites like Newgrounds.com also makes the CPU spike like crazy fairly often. I know they normally take a large amount of resources, but I've never had a CPU issue with other computers. Any thing I can do to solve it? Also, on the topic of high CPU, sometimes the latest version of WINamp will spike for a few seconds once I start it up with a song. Other times it floats about at 12%. Is that normal?

I've had this issue for months, and it's becoming extremely bothersome. Any sort of help will be very much appreciated.

2. Mendie

Mendie Private E-2

Yeah, it's not a spyware issue or anything.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I can't say about youtube because I don't view it much, but some sites that are heavy users of Flash seem to do a poor job of optimizing their Flash content. At least, that's my impression. In other words, it may not be a problem with your system.

For example, open http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ in your browser and see what happens to your CPU Usage. Does it shoot up? The larger Flash area across the top of the home page with the scrolling display of books is the culprit. There's a Pause button in the lower right part of that Flash display. Click pause and see your CPU usage drop. Am I right? I get the same results on my Win XP Pro SP3 desktop system and my Vista Home Premium laptop. And, it's with the same whether I use Internet Explorer or Firefox.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi DomLuc's suggestion is not our malware guide, but one on spring cleaning your PC a bit, which can help.

Also is your Vista at SP1 and fully upto date?

What version of Flash do you have installed? if not the latest in version 10, then best bet is to uninstall Adobe Flash using their uninstaller HERE (and do read the notes as its crucial to removing Flash properly, I would personally reboot your PC, then run the uninstaller before running IE,Firefox etc) then reinstall the latest version from HERE

5. fatjonir

fatjonir Private E-2

i have this problem.... my laptop work very well only when i'm in streaming cpu go to 100 and i can't see the video or movie well(only if i download and see in win. media player)..
    i have formated 2 times(only C drive), i scaned with diferent anti-virus many times, i see for virus ping.exe and svchost.exe and i dont have them...
    before 2 weeks i see movies in all kind of steaming, and now only in youtube can see a few good
    the problem comes gradually, and now is desater

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Is this a question? This thread is 3 years old, if you need help please start a new thread that makes sense. FYI, formatting numerous times is not helping you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds