Desktop icon

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Is there a way to customize, assign, make, whatever, an icon to a desktop file?
    Thanks,
    Skysarge

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If the file is on your desktop, why do you need to make an icon for it? Me confused. :confused

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you wanting to replace the generic looking file folder with a different icon?

If so and you are running XP, right-click, select properties then click on the Customize tab

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

And, if you're referring to changing the shortcut icons, right-click the shortcut, click Properties, and in the Shortcut tab, click Change Icon. You'll then be able to browse to other .ico files, either in the shortcut's parent folder or elsewhere on the machine.

If you wish to create your own, I suggest using IrfanView - select a graphic you wish to use, and save it as an .ico file. Then, change the shortcut's default graphic to the new file.

5. techsent

techsent Corporal

for shortcuts, you can also browse to .dll files and open those for an icon selection. shell32.dll and moricons.dll are in the windows\system32 folder.

Techsent

6. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I will give these ideas a try.
    Reason behind changing icon is many are the "generic" Mozilla logo. Changing the Mozilla icon on a desktop fileto an identifiable logo seems to be a better idea.
    Skysarge

7. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

So how do I restore lost icons?

8. Lavender

Lavender Master Sergeant

Solved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds