Computer Freezes frequently

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misterballa, May 28, 2005.

1. misterballa

misterballa Private E-2

Lets see i cant remember when the problem started, but my computer seems to freeze when it has a slight 'workload' if you will. Like if i run a any p2p prog after about 20minutes it will freeze. Or if i try to burn from MyDVD it will get about halfway through then freeze. I have tried to run ad-aware which works fine in smart mode it finds a few tracking cookies and deletes them, but if i try full system scan the comp will freeze. I have hijack this. i ran it and i dindt see anything out of the norm. while i maybe more experienced than an average pc user, i still dont really know what im looking for. Also i tried to install the new beta version of yahoo messenger, but it is for xp and i run win98. so i tried to unistall and reinstall my older copy but ymsngrtray always crashes during the install and the program never starts up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank for your time.

2. mga

mga Private E-2

how much memory do you have?

3. misterballa

misterballa Private E-2

512Mb Win98 P41.7Ghz

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

how much hard drive space do you have left? I know that when you burn a DVD in most DVD burning apps it needs 5-10 GBs of free space on the drive to buffer the image or data onto the disk when writing. Could also try defragmenting with diskeeper or O&O defrager as the built-in defrager doesn't really cut it.

5. Punjabi88

Punjabi88 Private E-2

Well the best option you have is to reformat your hard drive and install a new copy of the OS and drivers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds