My Dell Mini PCI card failed a memory test diagnostic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shockt327, Dec 21, 2008.

1. shockt327

shockt327 Private First Class

Does this mean I have to get a new PCI card? I swear I've replaced this card about 3 times now.

BTW - I recently reinstalled windows, and had to reinstall all the drivers, etc. So could the problem be related to that?

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

When a computer fails a memory test diagnostic, it is referring to the RAM. The first step would be to take your RAM out and put it back in. This will ensure that the RAM has a secure connection to the motherboard. Run the memory test diagnostic again to see if that helped. If it does not, you need to narrow down which stick of RAM is malfunctioning and get a replacement.

There is a possibility that the RAM controller on the motherboard is malfunctioning. That is rare and hard to diagnose. You basically have to run the memory diagnostic with a "known good" stick of RAM is the computer. If that fails, that it is probably the controller.

3. shockt327

I should have clarified....The reason why I ran the diagnostic is cause my PCI card cannot seem to find any available networks.

Is this problem affecting that?

4. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Well, the name "memory test diagnostic" implies that it is testing RAM. Try this: http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

I know this tests RAM. And yes, problems with RAM could cause problems any number of problems.

5. shockt327

Here's the description

Microcode memory test failed.

This tests verifies that the network controller internal memory is functioning properly. The test writes patterned values to the memory and reading back the results. The test fails if an erroneous value is read back. The network controller will not function without its internal memory.

6. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I see. According to the description you gave me it sounds like you need a new network card.

7. shockt327

Damn, how come I keep having to replace these friggin things?

8. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Do you have a surge protector somewhere on your internet line?

9. shockt327

Currently? I don't believe so. I haven't used my PCI card at all for the past few months because I was using a USB modem (which I want to get rid of thanks to the 5 gig cap). Now that I'm back home for winter break I'm just going to use my family's wireless network.

I thought the problem might have something to do with the fact that I recently re-installed windows.

10. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

have you checked your device manager to see if there are any ! or ? marks?

11. shockt327

device manager?

12. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

right click on my computer;
    [Windows XP only] click on the hardware tab
    click device manager.

See if there are any ! or ? marks. They should be immediately visible if there are any.

13. shockt327

Nope, no ! or ? marks.

14. shockt327

However there is a ? and a ! next to "Ethernet controller"

15. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

which one?

Regardless, you should go to Dell and re-download your driver. If you still have the disk you could use that instead.

Dell support: http://support.dell.com/
    click on drivers and downloads.

16. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I should probably mention that the ! or ? in front of "ethernet controller" is clearly the reason why your networking card is not working. Get the drivers installed and your problem should dissapear.

17. shockt327

So I download the driver that they have for my Dell Mini PCI card, or a driver related to the Ethernet controller (which I don't see)?

18. shockt327

Well, I downloaded the driver for the Dell Mini PCI card. I can now see all the available networks. Since I forgot my network key/password, I reset the router by pressing the back button for 30 secs. Only problem, when I try to go to http://192.168.1.1 - which is the default adress - I cannot get in. It keeps telling me "Network Timeout. The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond."

19. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

A lot of routers, when you reset them, will turn off wireless until you run the easy config wizard. You will need to connect the router to your computer by ethernet.

20. shockt327

Ok, now my network appears to show up. I can even connect to it successfully. Here's the problem, everytime I try to load a page I get this message: "This connection can only be used with VZA Acess Manager."

Even when I disconnect from the network, or remove my USB modem, I still get that message. WTF?

21. shockt327

Do I have to uninstall the Verizon software to any other connection working?

22. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

that should not be necessary.

23. shockt327

So what's causing this problem?

24. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I suppose that removing the Verizon software could help. You should try it if you no longer use Verizon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds