Hi -- from new member, survivor from Eniac days

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by BillMS, Sep 3, 2006.

1. BillMS

BillMS Private E-2

Sorry for the ancient reference. Just my way of saying I've been around since Eniac days -- and still feel I don't know much.

By the way (BTW?), wonder how many members even know what an 'Eniac' is. :)

I'm one of those who feel that, whatever field one is involved in, that history and the basics form a solid foundation for learning and better understanding overall.

Seriously, I've been looking for a new forum that I can really get 'into'. Spent a little time casting about here, and think I may have found it. Sure seems like a very well run site.

For many years I've been a member of Compuserve's forums (and still am), but times progress and new forums can offer much.

I hope to contribute here, with the little knowledge I have (or, at my age, even remember :rolleyes: ).

I've already posted a message here (about some CD writer questions).

Glad to be here, and hope to 'see' many of you all around.

Thanks for being here.

Bill

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bill and welcome to the fourms :)

yep I know what an ENIAC is, early computer, mostly build from Vaccum Tubes or Valves ( as us brits call them ) and if I remember correctly its purpose was to compute firing angles and trajectories for artillary fire.

3. INeedAGig1210

INeedAGig1210 Private E-2

Welcome to the forums Bill!

As far as the ENIAC goes, I know it was built mainly for artillary firing and hydrogen bomb design purposes.

4. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Private E-2

Whats up Bill,

wow, the ENIAC days huh, around 60 years ago.

Cool. :)

5. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Funny thing, it calculated the firing angles and whatnot, which was turned into a manual, a book. This old unreliable machine, where the term debug was invented, was still better at that particular job than anything else. My understanding is once it was finished with this particular job it was done.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

Steve

7. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to Majorgeeks :)

8. leopold99

leopold99 Private First Class

i seriously believe that if you need to boot ol' king tut these eggheads here at major geeks will set you right up.:)

welcome to the forums.

9. BillMS

BillMS Private E-2

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Just to set the record straight, I didn't really work on Eniac. I just used that to indicate I was *old* enough to have. (Well, not quite.)

I did work for a company whose four founders did work on it at Penn (not Eckert and Mauchley (sp?) -- for those of you who know those names). But classmates with those guys.

And, several of you all did know correctly what Eniac was. Congradulations. :)

Bill

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's ....good to have another old f*rt around:) :)

Actually, my step-father worked at Aberdeen Proving Grounds back in the 60's ...I think I still have some of the books related to the progamming they did!

11. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Welcome, Bill - you are going to love it here! I know I do . . . :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds