Need to know what a crossover cable does

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yellowskill, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Yellowskill

Yellowskill Private E-2

Ok I just got a computer with xp, my old is win2000. I want to connect the both using a crossover cable. What exactly can a crossover cable do? all Ive read is its a for "file-sharing"

My XP computer has DSL and a printer. Win2000 computer doesnt (dont plan on connecint this one to the internet).

1) Can I directly make my old comp(win2000) use the printer? or would I have to send the file to my new comp (Xp which is connected to the printer), and then print a file.

2) Could my old computer use the internet through a crossover cable?

3) Can I connect to my computers and play games 1 vs 1 against someone through a crossover cable WITHOUT going on the internet (I dont plan on connecting my old computer to the net). If not what would I need to do this, if it is possible not using the internet.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

First off a crossover cable swaps the talk and listen pair of wires. If the cable was straight both PCs would be talkin on the same pair & both listening on the same pair... think if it as trying to couple 2 phone handsets, you'd have to flip one upsidedown so the ear piece would go to the mic & vice versa... hope that helps...

Ok, your XP machine would have to have to NICs (assuming one is connected to the DSL). The second NIC would be connected to the 2k unit via the crossover, then you could share the printer. In order to share the Inet you'd need to setup ICS - or not in your case. But some games require net access to set up even a LAN game (Counterstrike I know of).

You can run the home networking wizard on XP and make a floppy to set up the network for you too

More info can be found at parctically networked, or googling..

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds