Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by funky munky, Jul 23, 2006.

1. funky munky

funky munky Staff Sergeant

When Firefox is open it uses all of the unused cpu what should i do?

I have run norton and ad-aware but nothing.

2. itguy

itguy Private E-2

Are you running the latest version? Seems they had some issues with with version 5 and 5.1 and memory. Also what Firefox plugins are you running?

3. funky munky

This is the version

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4.

And im running google toolbar and favicon packager.

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

No problems here, there is a known cure for memory hogging, but most probable cause in my opinion would be NORTON, nasty CPU and Memory Hog, as are most Symantec programs, but thats just my opinion

5. itguy

itguy Private E-2

Sorry, just noticed my typo in my previous post. I meant to say version 1.5.0 and 1.5.0.1. Yes, you are current. And those plugins should not cause a problem. Have a look at this FAQ about firefox and memory usage. Lots of tweaks here and it may resolve your problem:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/memusage.html

6. MKorostoff

MKorostoff Private First Class

This is a common problem that you are experiencing (I experience it too). The most effective tool I've found for combatting this is this step (discussed in the link provided by itguy) :

Memory Usage Upon Minimize

There is a pref that enables trimming Firefox memory usage when you minimize all Firefox windows. This pref is for Windows only. To enable it, set the following pref to true using about:config:
    config.trim_on_minimize

Admittedly, this treats the symptoms and not the disease. I have been working on solving this on my system for so long, that I have now resolved myself to simply hoping that the next ff release fixes this problem.

7. funky munky

I don't have that option in about config.

8. kpmwrestler

kpmwrestler Private E-2

I don't have that option either.

9. BCGray

BCGray Guest

If you want to keep Firefox from using a lot of resources do the following:

1. Open Firefox
    2. In Address bar type "about:config" (without the quotes)
    3. Press enter
    4. Right click anywhere, and select New--> Integer
    5. Type "browse.cache.memory.capacity" (again without quotes)
    6. Click Ok
    7. Type in the amount of memory you want Firefox to use 16384 for 16Mb is appropriate, double that for 32Mb.
    8. Click Ok
    9. Restart Firefox

Hope that helps with "about:config"
    PS This was originally posted in MG by another user, but alas I do not have there name on my FF file

10. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

You can add the pref if it's missing; right-click on the page, select New -> Boolean, paste or type in config.trim_on_minimize , set to True.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds