Setup dual boot, but both os ended up on same partition?? Still get choice at boot up

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I wanted to do a dual boot up for win98se and w2k. Found instructions online to do it and when it came time to setup the partition for w2k I could not make another partition for w2k. So , I ended up putting on the same partition as win98se. When I boot up I do the the choice of which os to boot to, and have no problem getting into win98se or w2k. But, shouldn' win98se and w2k be in separate partitions?? If so, then how to I do that now?? Do I have to stasrt from scratch??

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Setup dual boot, but both os ended up on same partition?? Still get choice at boo

As far as I know Win2k is unique in that it will allow a second version of Windows on the same partition. I think you're good just like it is.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Re: Setup dual boot, but both os ended up on same partition?? Still get choice at boo

Two Windows will work on the same partition, but, problems can occur when trying to install programs, as to the file systems.
    I only ever made that mistake once, and a long time ago - My advice --START AGAIN.
    with 98se on first , install a patition manager like freeware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Partition_Logic_d4780.html
    or, partition magic, (not free), cutepartition manager, is another one.
    Partition magic is very good.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

C'mon chaps
    Windows 98 is a FAT operating system only.
    Windows 2000 is NTFS, Native, although it (and XP) will run on FAT.

That is why you would expect to find them of different partitions.

mcduke you must have formatted the partition as FAT and therefore will find that W2K will not do some of the stuff such as encryption that comes with NTFS.

The good news is that you followed the rule 'oldest first' so it worked OK for you.

You can also have more than one copy of the same version of windows on a single partition - this is one method of repairing partitions when you can't boot.

I would guess that you couldn't create a w2k partition when you came to install because you had used all the disk when you installed w98.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As Studiot explained, there are uses for this setup, and it will work, because you have 98se on first, and presumably FAT32. - Try it for a while, and decide if you find problems, later.

6. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Then I'll try it for awhile as it is. When I loaded w2k, the instructions I was following said that I would get an opportunity, during that setup, to make a second partition for w2k to load into. But it never gave me that choice. So, I just loaded w2k anyway and ended up with this weird dual boot on same partition system. I did format the drive for fat32 so I could use win98se. I had some flight sims (combat sim 2, mig alley, free space 2) programs I wanted to use with the attack throttle, elite rudder pedals, and topgun joystick that I purchased off of ebay (It's an older set that connects to the game port on the sound card). The drivers that came with it are for win95, but they work in win98 for it.
    The good news is that it all works good under win98se. I managed to take flight and all the different controls work cool. of course i managed to crash acouple of planes first. but, I;m getting the hang of it. Thanks guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds