Minor Sound Problem - Lost Startup/Shutdown Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arky41, Aug 27, 2007.

1. arky41

arky41 Private E-2

HP Pavilion 750C, Asus P4B266LA Motherboard, Intel 845MP Chipset, Sigamatel AC97 Sound, XP pro, 1 GB Mem, 300 GB HD:

Installed new XP Pro and when installed MS updates lost startup, shutdown wav. Music CD works, at sound panel wav test works and most seems to work with system, loaded music files work. Oh, I have downloaded every ac97 driver copy I could find, but all just screwed everythig up. I have already performed an XP repair to get back to the current situation. Anyone have a clue on how to fix this. Probably somthing I'm overlooking. Any assistance would be appreciated. :cry

2. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Hey, according to your description, you don't have a problem in your sound hardware or drivers.
    What do you mean by "but all just screwed everythig up"?
    For now, try the following:
    Go to "Control Panel", double click "Sound and Audio Devices", then from the "Sounds" tab, ensure that there are wave files associated with the "Exit Windows" and "Start Windows" events.
    or try selecting "Windows Default" from the "Sound scheme" drop-down list.

3. arky41

arky41 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.

The wavs are there and the test butten works for them there also. The only thing not working that I've found so far is at startup or shutdown...the wavs do not play. Screwed up means that every downloaded driver that I tried gave various and different problems. After XP reload, I am now at the above listed state.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds