Problems with HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GCA-4166B

Discussion in 'Software' started by McHammerfist, Mar 7, 2009.

1. McHammerfist

McHammerfist Private E-2

Hey guys, I'm new here and a relative newbie at trying to fix my PC problems.

My DVD drive will not pick up DVD's. It has no problems reading CD's which leads me to believe it still works and could be a driver problem. I am recovering from a major virus that damn near had me reformating (hence losing my 70GB worth of music and TV... nooo!), but managed to launch Malwarebyte which saved it from total destruction.

In device manager it says that it is working properly. (hence the CD's working i presume)

In my driver details, there is a green tick next to everything EXCEPT a system32 file called GEARspiWDM.sys, it concludes that it has not been digitally signed in (wtf?!?)

I've tried searching for drivers, but keep being told i have to buy these packages which is really annoying, i just want drivers.

Please help, I just got Empire Total War and i'm desperate to play it

just deleted my drivers as the bugger wouldn't read DVD's... Now it just won't pick up my device anymore

help, suggestions, where can i get new drivers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which Windows version you using and what if any are the errors you get when trying to read a DVD?

Is this just happening with DVDs or with CDs as well? Noticed in your other thread that CDs fine

In Device Manager, are their any errors in yellow ! marks or red ? marks, if so by what?

Is this drive recognised in the BIOS?

Could try this How to fix missing DVD/CD drives not showing up in windows explorer and delete upper and lower filters

Check the cables to the drive too, unplug and re plug in, also if possibe change the ribbon cable for a new one.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  3. McHammerfist

McHammerfist Private E-2

Windows XP

Just the DVD's aren't being read. I can load up a CD fine, however there is never an autoplay.

No errors in device manager, everything is clear and it is detecting no problems

How do i check if it is being detected in BIOS? (the OS seems to detect it fine)

Just popped open my case and had a looksy, lotta dust (not a clean freak) and popped the ribbon cabble into a new slot. Still reads it as E: and still the same problems. I'll change up the ribbon now by tearing apart my other PC's

4. DavidGP

Hi

Try the upper lower filter registry patch as that is known to fix this issue in many cases.

If the OS is detecting it ok then dont worry with the bios.

5. McHammerfist

McHammerfist Private E-2

I removed the upper filter (no lower filter) as the walkthrough said, however, the registry links for download are no longer available.

Once i delete the upper/lower registry it should be fine?

(EDIT: I rebooted and still no love with the DVD's)

6. McHammerfist

McHammerfist Private E-2

still no luck or joy, trawled the internet for upper lower registry patches, the best i could find was cdgone which in no way helped.

I've noticed when a DVD is or isn't in the drive i can still open the E: for some reason when usually it should say no disc in E: or whatever.
    further info, my system is recovering from a virus which malwarebytes' anti-malware took care of.

I might try rigging up another drive, even though i know tow fifth of f-all on doing this.

If anyone can see some light at the end of this tunnel or would like to help me more pelase reply. I'm desperate and have been for a while

7. DavidGP

Hi

Are you sure all malware is removed from PC?

Indeed if you can hook up another drive to this PC it will test if its Windows OS or driver at fault or the actual DVD itself is failing, to change a DVD/CD Rom device see this step by step

8. McHammerfist

McHammerfist Private E-2

Yeah, i got sick of it all and just salvaged an old DVD drive... it works fine.

It was a last resort, but it works. Thanks for the assistance halo

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds