USB flash Drive Format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmcferran, Oct 14, 2007.

1. dmcferran

dmcferran Private E-2

I have a Sandisk Cruzer 4 GB flash drive with U3 software which windows inadvertantly formatted to FAT mode ( I was trying to update the driver to accept Vista) and now only appears as 1 MB capacity. I have tried Windows Disk Management etc. but this stubbornly states that the capacity is only 1 MB. Is there some clever software out there that I can use to re-format the device back to 4 GB? Appreciate any help. I gather that I have removed the primary partition on the device, but I would have thought that if I can remove it I should be able to re-format it?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have one of these drives.

My drive F: (U3) is type CDFS size: 5mb
    My drive G: (main partition) is type FAT32 size 3.81 gb

I don't want to mess around with mine because I always though it was strange that you could so easily format them with third-party software but Sandisk didn't provide its own utility. The FAT file system doesn't seem to be the problem. Does your Flash drive show up in computer management with a U3 drive and the larger 1GB storage drive?

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Check out
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=105071,
    reply #5, for formatting USB sticks to NTFS, in XP.

If you are using Vista then that option is built in (I believe). Not sure about U3 sticks though, formatting may probably wipe out the U3 partition.

Thumbnail for XP users to format USB sticks to NTFS (from Halo), after you carry out the instructions in that thread. Works for me. Remember any NTFS formatted USB stick will not work on W9x, etc., systems. Bazza

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  4. dmcferran

dmcferran Private E-2

Thanks Sach2 and BigBazza for that, the main problem I seem to have is that Windows has formatted the device in FAT16 and has removed the original primary partition so that Vista will not even read it and XP reads it as 2 devices, a CD ROM with 3.83 GB and a disk with 1.0 MB capacity. I suspect the device is now unuseable but just wondered if there was any clever software around that could re-format it back to original.

5. bigbazza

Have you tried the instructions (for XP) in the previous thread that I quoted?

If you don't have XP, try it on a friends XP PC using the method outlined.

I would have thought that the tip provided would re-format it completely, wiping out all else. Let us know how you go. Bazza

===

6. sach2

7. dmcferran

dmcferran Private E-2

Thanks BigBazza and Sach2, the problem I have happened when I used the software on the link to Sandisk, I think it is not compatible with Vista, certainly not on my laptop ( HP 6500 with AMD Turion 64) and windows formatted the device to FAT16, which seems to have destroyed the U3 partition. The Vista laptop will not even recognise the device and a laptop using XP reads it as a CD ROM player, with the second partition as only 1 MB.

8. bigbazza

Have you tried the instructions (for XP) in the previous thread that I quoted?
    You have not answered my question, so I assume you haven't. Give it a go.

An alternative would be to contact Sandisk and ask them, or take it back to where you purchased it from, and ask for a replacement. Bazza

===

9. sach2

Sorry, no solutions but it looks like it is reading it exactly wrong. The large partition should be read as a disk and the small partition should be the CD-ROM.

I wonder if you could use partitioning software to create two partitions one formatted as CDFS and one to FAT32? Then try the Sandisk software.

Again sorry, I know it's frustrating because I was looking for full format software for it when I first got it. Just so I could have a clean drive when copying large programs. I never found it. :(

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Go to the U3 site http://www.u3.com/support/default.aspx
    Do not use windows to format the drive. Maybe it can be fixed using the software link on the U3 site - the first fact goes through the steps you have to do to get Vista to recognize it.

11. dmcferran

dmcferran Private E-2

plodr, sach2 and bigbazza- many thanks again for the tips but since my computer insists that the device is only 1 MB it will not format as anything above FAT16, so there is nothing I can do. I have tried all the steps mentioned in the Sandisk web site and I just wondered if there was a DOS based program that would get into the thing, but according to Sandisk experts ( who I contacted yesterday ) there is no remedy except return to them, which I am in the process of doing ( to the Czech republic). They have kindly offered me a replacement, I suppose because it was their software that caused the problem in the first place. So once again many thanks for your help fellas, but be aware that some of these devices may react oddly to Vista.

Regards,

Dave.

12. bigbazza

Ask them to re-format to the OS you want before they send it. Might save future problems. :D Bazza

13. dmcferran

dmcferran Private E-2

Yes Bazza, good thinking, I have been it touch with Sandisk and all should be well , thanks for that,

Regards,

Dave.

14. bigbazza

Hope it works for you. :D Keep us informed. :) Bazza

===

15. bigbazza

and
    Check out Windows Secrets newsletter, at http://windowssecrets.com/comp/071025 for some interesting takes on U3 USB memory sticks.

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds