network path not found - CSNW config?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mada_Milty, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Helllo again

We're having an ongoing issue with resolving a network path. When our XP Pro SP1 machine w/ Novell Netware Client tries to use the command "net time \\mathew /set /yes", we receive system error 53 network path not found.
    Mathew is a netware 3.12/ file server.
    The problem is not with the server, the command works well on other XP machines.
    Now, the problematic machine is in the workgroup MDI in Microsoft Windows Network and lists the server as being in Netware Services. However, machines that do work in workgroup MDI list the server in Netware or compatible network.

PLEASE HELP! I know about as much about netware as I do about driving a submarine.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Something to try:

Find out Mathew's IP, then do the following:

net time \\ipaddress (i.e. x.x.x.x) /set /yes

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

mathew doesn't have an IP, unfortunately... he's a netware server

4. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Install the real Novell client on that PC instead of CSNW and that should fix it. I don't remember whether or not CSNW will translate UNC names or not, but I know that Novell's client for Windows will map UNC names to NetWare names properly.

You shouldn't need to issue a NET TIME command at all: Time synchronization is done automatically between a NetWare v3.x server and workstations that attach via the Novell client, unless it's overridden on the client side - this is controlled by the "Set Station Time" parameter under the Advanced Settings tab of the Novell Client - it's on by default, and as I recall.

Regards,

dj

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

We've had some major issues using MS' built in Netware client unfortunately, I'm not sure using it is a viable option, though I will definitely look into it. As for mapping names, all other workstations using the client have been unaffected.

I will aslo look into the "Set Station Time" parameter. Thing is, the workstations use a legacy app that requires the date to be set back to December 12, 1999....UGH....but, it's on its way out.

Thank you though, DJ...yours has been the most comprehensive response I've recieved in all my attempts to resolve this problem!

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

The NET TIME command uses NTP, SNTP, or whatever Windows domains use (depending on how it's configured). NTP and SNTP are TCP/IP services. It would really surprise me if NetWare 3 would respond to it. I mean, NetWare 3 is from the 80's. At that time, IPX/SPX on coaxial token ring was the standard. NetWare didn't even begin to speak TCP/IP until v5, IIRC.

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Thanks for the input...however, other workstations (including my own, same specs/config) run the command successfully.

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oops! I've repeatedly misread this post. We ARE using the real novell client, and CSNW (Client Service Netware) was a mistake on my part.
    As for advanced tab, you are referring to the tab on the logon window, yes?
    If so, I do not see this option there. I'll continue to look, but any further help is much appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds