Can't Safely remove . . .

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yamatosoul, Nov 28, 2009.

1. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

I just got a Samsung Story Station 1.5TB external HDD and it's not allowing me to remove safely. Whenever I click "Safely Remove Hardware", I get an error message indicating that it cannot be removed because it is in use by another process, but in reality, it is not in use at all. So, I have to shut down the PC each time in order to physically remove the HDD. I have another WD external HDD, but it doesn't have this problem. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open task manager and see if any backup software for your Samsung is running.

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Do you have any programs such as IOBit SmartDefrag running?

Is there a hard drive activity light on the external drive? Is it flashing/flickering even when you are not using the drive?

4. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

Yes, it does have a bottom LED, but it's not flickering when I try to disconnect. And my other external drive (WD) doesn't have this problem. Any suggestions?

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Following on from Colinsl's post its likely another process has this drive locked, so check the likes of defrag apps, is System Restore active for this drive? Would need to knwo Windows version as its helpful?

What you could try to see if you can find the app thats locking this HDD is to try Unlocker and when this happens check what apps are locking it by right clicking the drive in My Computer and choosing "what is locking this folder" and see whats listed.

6. yamatosoul

yamatosoul Private E-2

As it turns out, it was the IOBit SmartDefrag causing this problem. Since it wasn't bothering my WD HD, I didn't think it was the cause. Thanks again for all your inputs.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Reference for future readers with this problem:
    IOBit SmartDefrag logs all connected storage devices, whether removable or not. To get around this, simply close SmartDefrag, diconnect the device using the safely disconnect icon, and restart SmartDefrag. Solved!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds