Safely Remove HW icon missing in 7?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Apr 29, 2012.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Looks like I couldn't get rid of this thing in Vista..and now I can't FIND it in 7?!?

Any suggestion on how I might perform this (ridiculously-ridiculous) task, please?

PS...once again, after JUST having taken a screenshot (screen-capture), and "attempting" to post it on MG's, it has disappeared, from the place where I would normally find it, to upload it . . . :confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused

7 really seems (to me) suck just as much as Vista did (I've had very little luck since WIN2000).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>Looks like I couldn't get rid of this thing in Vista and now I can't FIND it in 7... Win 7 really seems (to me) suck just as much as Vista did (I've had very little luck since WIN2000)<

Actually, this particular problem is quite typical in all Windows based system versions; as the OS may occasionally and inadvertently hide the icon - baffling many users in the process. ;)

In any case; in order to get the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon back: First of all, check to be sure that the icon is not just hidden by simply clicking the little arrow on left of clock (which is located on bottom right side of the taskbar). Then if that doesn't work out for you, then modifying the notification area is the next logical step: Right Click on the Taskbar then click Properties > Notification Area tab > Icons > Customize - and then check to be sure it is not set to HIDE.

If needed, you could also try following these three easy steps listed below:

Direct command to open the "Safely Remove Hardware" window

Step 1) Click on Start > Run in order to open up the 'run dialog box' (which you will then see on the screen).
    Step 2) Then Type (or copy and paste) the following exact command into the Run dialog box... RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
    Important NOTE: (btw: This command is case sensitive).​

And finally Step 3) Click OK to see "Safely remove hardware" settings window.​
    * Now you can proceed with standard procedure to safely remove any connected USB drive.

Additionally, you can check out this blog Safely remove hardware icon lost for a far more detailed post regarding this "long lost icon" problem. This post also has very useful instructions (as well as pics!).

Side Notes: Additionally, if all else fails; as an absolute last resort - you could also try rebooting into safe mode and restore to an earlier 'system restore setting" and the icon might re-appear.

You might also check out this MG post link Using System Restore first prior to any restore attempt. 'Using System Restore' is handy a straightforward, step by step help guide explaining how to use it

Good Luck! -- COMP

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I have the impression you don't understand how Windows 7 hides icons to minimize clutter in the Notification Area of the taskbar. In other words, Windows 7 is probably placing the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the Hide Icons box. This is where Windows 7 places some icons to minimize clutter. This reference should help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Safely-remove-devices-from-your-computer. This video may also be helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBP8Kv3eVQM

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

usafvet - greatly appreciate your reply and your time, but no sir..I am aware of how the icons are hidden..I've been in there, and found the Safely Remove HW icon/settings, but I am simply not "allowed" (able) to actually do anything with it...as if it's frozen, or "locked".

Comp - thank you much also..I have attempted this procedure once, but was not successful . . it's rather lengthy (for me), but I will certainly try again, as I likely missed something the first time.. . . .

Thanks again folks!

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

So, you click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon and nothing happens, right? Sometimes, my computer is a bit sluggish in responding to my clicking on the Safely Remove Hardware icon. Try pausing a few seconds after clicking on it to see whether it responds.

An alternative way to Safely Remove Hardware is to open Computer, click on the removable device to select it, and then right click and select Eject. This should cause the popup box saying it's safe to remove the hardware, same as using the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the taskbar.

And, of course, if your computer is shutdown, you can safely remove hardware.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds