All my pictures are Nexus Image Icons, no pictures....

Discussion in 'Software' started by melen001, May 21, 2015.

1. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

When I go to my saved Pictures Folder in Wins 7 all I can see is the Program Icon (I use Nexus Viewer) and i don't see the image. This happened about a 3 or 4 days ago and I don't know why. What should I do to have my images back as before?

[​IMG]Pictures

2. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Hi...

This has nothing to do with a phone. This is happening on my computer and the pictures you see are on my computer.

3. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

melen001...

Top left side of Windows Explorer, you will see "Organize". It's in your picture of your pictures file there so you can see what I mean. Click on the arrow and on the drop down select "Folder and search options". Click on the "View" tab and see if there is a check box in "Always show icons, never thumbnails". This check box should be empty for you to be able to see thumbnails. Is this setting right?

4. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

The original pictures have been on my computer for a long time. I do not have any software that has to do with phones or tablets on my computer. I use Nexus Image as my default viewer and have for over 2 years. As you can see in my screen capture, all my pictures have been substituted by the Nexus Image Icon.

5. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

I have checked and it's not clicked so it's empty.

6. AtlBo

melen001...

OK, when you open a picture, is there a settings area somewhere in the Nexus program/viewer? I suspect there could be some setting there that must be changed for you to see thumbnails again...

7. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

NO..... I don't have any images on a phone or tablet. Nexus Image is for Wins 7 OS and not for tablets or phones. I have been using Nexus for over two years. All this issue happened when I installed a program called Free Viewer by Blue Labs. After I saw that my pictures had changed to Nexus Icons I uninstalled Free Viewer and the issue has not vanished. I still have the problem,. Everything that has been mentioned here I have done with no success. I still have the problem and I can't see my pictures unless I use any image viewer. I think that Free Viewer has changed my File Extensions in my Wins OS 7-64. I need to find out if my Extensions Files have been altered by Free Viewer even after I have uninstalled the software and how to fix this issue. I am quit sure that the problem is with my Extension Files.....

8. AtlBo

9. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Thanks for the advice but this is for resetting or rebuilding Wins 7 Icons. I did try each one as mentioned but no luck. This is beginning to get very frustrating because I can't see my original pictures thumbnails unless I use a viewer. What I want is to have my picture images back and not have the Picture Viewer's Icon in place for the picture image. If I try using another viewer all I get is that viewers Icon, example, Photo Gallery, FastStone Image Viewer or Zoner Photo or any other viewer. All I see is that viewers Icon in place for the picture and not the picture like I used to before..
    Take a look at the Screen Capture I have included in my original post and you will see what I mean.

10. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Yes, they where downloaded from my phone but that was a long time ago and I always had my pictures a usual. All this issue happened when I installed a program called Free Viewer by Blue Labs and that's when the problem started so I uninstalled assuming that by removing the software I would have my pictures back but that did not happen. I am assuming that this Free Viewer has changed my File Extension or something like that.

11. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

thanks

12. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

No, there is no setting in Nexus Image. Just to clarify, I have been using Nexus Image for 2 years and I've never had any issues. I have trying using other viewers and that doesn't help. I still don't have my pictures back. Just look at my original post and see the Screen Capture.

13. AtlBo

melen001...

Have you run sfc /scannow, yet? I looked over the thread and didn't see a mention of it, but I may have missed that. Apologies if so. sfc /scannow will fix hoards of problems associated with a broken file structure in Windows. Good chance it will fix this, unless Free Viewer added keys to the registry or script to by pass something. In that case, it might not fix the problem, and you will have to go a little bit deeper.

One thing about sfc /scannow. It might request an installation disk (for your version of Windows and 32/64 bit). In that case, it won't be able to fix everything without the disk. It really is basically a lifesaver in many cases, though, including many like this one you are experiencing...

14. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

No Nexus related software. Let me explain. After I installed a program called Free Viewer by Blue Labs is when the problem started so I uninstalled it assuming that the problem would be fixed but it wasn't and I still have the problem. I am guessing that this has to do with Wins Extension Files and that Free Viewer has messed up the Extension Files or something like that.... I am quite certain that nothing is wrong with Nexus Image or any other viewer....

15. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Yes, I did run sfc/scannow and that didn't help. "Free Viewer added keys to the registry or script"... that's it, that is what most certainly happened. You hit the bulls-eye... Free Viewer changed keys or some kind of script. Now, how do I go and check if it did change any registry keys??? I am confident that is what happened...... please tell me what to do.... thanks, George

16. AtlBo

melen001...

Did sfc /scannow find and repair problems? If so, did it repair all of them, or were some left unrepaired?

17. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

It stated that it repaired some and not all... I don't have a Wins OS disk so I can't repair the rest. This is making go crazy...

18. AtlBo

melen001...

I was afraid you would be in this spot, and I am afraid you won't be able to fix the problem without an installation disk.

The only thing I can think of for you to try that doesn't involve an installation disk is System Restore. You would have to restore to a time before the time of the installation of Free Viewer, however...

19. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

I tried System Restore but I have the bad habit of removing old Restore Points and the ones I have are after the issue started. My bad luck. I guess I'll have to see if something else comes up.

20. AtlBo

melen001...

This is a little bit complicated, but I have two things you could try. The first one is less trouble, so you might want to try it first. I was going to recommend this before, but I wouldn't try it until I felt like it was my last option.

1. Install Revo and use that to search out remnants of Free Viewer. Delete what Revo finds and see if that fixes the problem. You may find that it would work better with the free version of Revo to actually reinstall Free Viewer (careful not to install any bundleware that may be in the installer) and then let Revo find everything it can find. The idea here is to reinstall the program and have Revo search for all of its components. I believe there are other tactics you could use that include using Revo's search field, but I don't have enough experience with the program to suggest how to use it best. Someone else might be able to help you with that.

2. This is a little bit more involved, but it might have a better chance of working. First, some setup on this. Honestly, I would go with Comodo Programs Manager rather than Revo for this, because it records installations. To get that feature with Revo, you would have to pay for the full version. Anyway, the problem is that you need version 1.2 of CPM instead of the latest one, or you get bundleware called Geek Buddy. Also, CPM isn't great for long term use, because of a process that uses alot of processor that runs for like 20 minutes a few times a day. Sad thing is the feature doesn't even work. It was supposed to connect to Comodo with info on the files in installed programs, so that people could reinstall them from the net. I use Process Lasso for other things, but it has a feature that automatically blocks any process, so I am able to use CPM and keep that process at bay this way. It can't run on my PCs here. BTW, CPM 1.2 is a clean uninstall when you get done with it, so it won't leave any problems behind.

Too bad developers like the developers of Free Viewer mess with the registry this way. Anyway, using CPM is very easy, and there is a chance it will remove your problem. I use it on all 5 PCs I have here (have for years now), and it really works. Run the full uninstall for Free Viewer and then wait for the registry entries to pop up for removal. Then just click OK to remove them.

P.S. I will help you find CPM 1.2 if you choose to try method 2.

Sorry about all of this info, but there is a sort of a hole in the force so to speak when it comes to fixing the registry after removing a program that has caused damage to Windows. Apart from image backups, you are in for a difficult situation if System Restore won't solve your problem and if you don't have a Windows Installation disk for your version of Windows...

Oh...one other thing you may want to do. Check in your list of installed programs to see if there are any programs that shouldn't be there. Some may have been installed with Free Viewer. If there are some, you will want to reinstall those, too (even though they are already there), when using the 2nd method with CPM. It will record those installations, too, so you can get a full removal. Actually, it usually removes all of programs installed together at once when they were installed together (bundleware). However, CPM won't recognize anything for full removal if it was not installed after CPM.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  21. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Thanks for the info... I have installed CPM 1.2 which I Googled and found it. I also installed Free Viewer. When I uninstalled Free Viewer CPM told me that it had also installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030 and asked me if I wanted to remove it as well as Free Viewer. I don't know if I should remove it or not so I cancelled the removal of Free Viewer for the moment. Free Viewer said that for it to work it needed Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030 so I really don't know what to do. Revo does not list Free Viewer so I'm not able to use it. What do you think???

Maybe you should check Free Viewer... in the options there is an "association and no-association option"..... maybe if I un-associate the format files this will bring back my pictures. This is getting on my nerves... WOW.... I'll have to take a tranquilizer of a shot of Scotch (maybe 2)... Let me know what you think and I will try the un-associate option that Free Viewer offers and see what happens....

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  22. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

23. AtlBo

melen001...

Go for it. The redistributable add ons are usually bundled with programs when it is required, and you don't need it if you don't have any other programs that run it. It would have already been there if you did have any others, and CPM wouldn't have asked you to remove it if so, so you should be fine.

That's normal for CPM. Whatever installs from the same installer must be removed at the same time, but it's actually a protection, to make sure everything is removed. Basically, Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030 is not required...

Anyway, you can always download and install it from MS if you find it is necessary. It can be easily found on Google...

I am 90+% that it wasn't on the PC before you installed Free Viewer. Again, it's readily available from MS. :)

24. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Well, I have removed everything that was installed with Free Viewer and also MS Visual C++ 2012 and I STILL HAVE THE FREAKING PROBLEM....... After the uninstall I rebooted my PC just in case and when I went to my Pictures Folder I still have the problem. What next??? By the way, thank you so much for your time & effort in helping me resolve this issue. It seems like we're running out of options......

25. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I suggest you download and run Tweaking.com - Windows Repair. It doesn't change any files, it only repairs problems by restoring the defaults.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair.html

Because of what you have already done, click the Start Repairs tab. Check the box next to Automatically do a registry backup and click Start. Leave the settings at Defaults and click Start Repairs. After it completes, restart your PC.

26. AtlBo

melen001...

Eldon's suggestion was going to be my final crack at this. I haven't ever had to use Tweaking, yet, but I know it's been like the single most helpful external program (non-Windows program) for Windows 7 users, when it comes to repairing damaged installations of Windows.

I sent you a PM by the way...

27. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

I have done exactly as instructed in Tweaking Windows Repair each and every one of the options and restarted Wins and still have the FREAKING problem.... what next....

28. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Did as suggested by Eldon and no luck.... what next.... What is PM???

29. AtlBo

melen001...

It's a private message. Look top right under your user name. You should see a link to private messages there...

30. Eldon

Use CCleaner to clean the registry - it's safe. Look if the thumbnails are restored. If not, uninstall Nexus Image (you can always re-install it) using Revo Uninstaller, and again run CCleaner.

31. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Okay.... have messaged you back....

32. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

I just did as mentioned and nothing doing. Still have the problem. Now, instead of having the Nexus Image Viewer's Icon I have FastStone Image Viewer's Icon and no pictures. I am convinced that the problem is with my Wins OS, and not any picture viewer, and some how Free Viewer changed how I view pictures in my Picture Folders by either adding or changing registry entries or some kind of script or File Extensions or something like that. I'll be taking a few shots of Pinch scotch and try to settle down before I go hay-wire because this is just a nuisance... I have to thank you for your time... what do you recommend now???

33. Eldon

On the Start menu click Default Programs and then Set your default programs. Click Windows Photo Viewer and at the bottom of the screen, click Set this program as default.

34. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Have done that and all it does is sets Wins Photo Viewer's icon to all my pictures just like when using Nexus Image Viewer or any other image viewer...
    I am convinced that the problem is with my Wins OS, and not any picture viewer, and some how when I installed Free Viewer it changed how I view pictures in my Picture Folders by either adding or changing registry entries or some kind of script or File Extensions or something like that. What next friend....

35. Eldon

Open Control Panel > Folder Options > View and ensure the box next to Always show icons, never thumbnails is unchecked. Click Apply and OK.

36. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Thanks for your time.... I have done that and all I get is the icon of what ever viewer I select. Please look at my other post and you can see what I men.

37. Eldon

Have you tried the suggestion in post #40?

38. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Yes, have tried that (40)... I have tried everything that is mentioned here. I would suggest that you go back and read all my post including the first one. I am quit sure that after I installed Free Viewer (which I have uninstalled) it has written something to the registry or altered Extension Files or something like that. I'm guessing that it has to do with my Wins 7 OS and the association with the files.

39. Eldon

40. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Take a look at screen capture of my Picture Folder...

41. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

I was careful and did EXACTLY as instructed ... The instructions mention tat I must have Wins Photo Viewer as my default but I do not have Wins Photo Viewer. I am assuming it's because I have Wins 7-64 Home Edition so I set Wins Photo Gallery as my default viewer. You're not going to belive this but that didn't work, now I have Wins Photo Gallery's Icon.

42. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

I was careful and did EXACTLY as instructed ... The instructions mention tat I must have Wins Photo Viewer as my default but I do not have Wins Photo Viewer. I am assuming it's because I have Wins 7-64 Home Edition so I set Wins Photo Gallery as my default viewer. You're not going to belive this but that didn't work, now I have Wins Photo Gallery's Icon.

Attached Files:

43. Eldon

44. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

No luck.....

45. AtlBo

melen001...

There is a way to run an sfc /scannow and have a log of the procedure dropped on the desktop. It's really very simple. Just go to Start->Programs->Accessories->right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator". When the Command Prompt is open add the following line at the cursor prompt:

sfc /scannow findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will send a log called sfcdetails.txt to your desktop. The log will say exactly what sfc /scannow repaired and what it could not repair if anything. If you are OK with running sfc /scannow again, please use a zip utility to place the sfcdetails.txt file into a zip and then attach it to your next post. Maybe from the log we could determine where the problem in Windows is and then focus a little bit better on a specific fix...

46. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

I did everything you mentioned and I did find Blue Labs file (Free Viewer) in AppData and it was the installation file and I did delete it. I reboot and guess what, still have the freaking issue... I have scoured all over and no sign of Free Viewer in Program files, Program Data or Programs.... I am quite positive that Free Viewer changed or wrote to the registry and changed who thumbnails are viewed according to Free Viewer. Maybe it has to do with the Extension Files. I'm still scratching my head. BTW... I fond that I have a Registry Backup file as of May 2 215 and just maybe I can use that to get my resistry back. I just don't know how to do that.

Attached Files:

47. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

Just did so but it did not scan... I have enclosed the zip file....

Attached Files:

48. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

this is the log you need.... Cbs log sfc /scannow log

Attached Files:

• CBS.zip
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
  49. AtlBo

melen001...

My mistake. Run the sfc /scannow as before using just the sfc /scannow command at the command prompt. Once the scan has completed then add the following line to the command prompt to get sfcdetails.txt placed on the desktop with all of the details from the most recent scan:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

Just ran sfc /scannow, and this is the proper procedure. Apologies, I didn't have the procedure detailed in the file I have, just the command...

50. melen001

melen001 Private E-2

check below there is the log you want........ It's in post 54 right below.......

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds