New Computer Windows 8.1 set up tips

Discussion in 'Software' started by chasf, May 24, 2015.

1. chasf

chasf Private E-2

Hello,

We just purchased a new computer with 8.1. Any advice on setting up? Any programs I can get rid of that are just dead weight?

thanks

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi. Congrats on the new purchase.

Typically, the answer is yes, you can delete some programs. Most manufacturers load a bunch of junk onto a new computer.

You can start with this utility: PC De-Crapifier

There is a video on that page you can watch as well on using it.

3. chasf

chasf Private E-2

Thanks guys. I will go de-crapify. Glad to know that CCleaner will work with 8.1 as well.

Any suggestions with anti-virus? It's preloaded with McAfee. I don't know much about it. Had McAfee years ago but have been using Trend Micro on my old machine. Any suggestions would be great.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Why not just stick with the built-in Defender? It's a perfectly good and completely non-intrusive AV and there's certainly no point at all in paying for a McAfee subscription. Get rid.

5. chasf

chasf Private E-2

You guys are great. I love getting on here to get the knowledge.

thanks!

6. chasf

chasf Private E-2

Do you have a link for the Panda AV? I don't want to pay for a subscription if I don't have to.

Also, was thinking about this as I drifted off to sleep last night:

Computer comes with Defender which is built into Windows, but then has McAfee. So McAfee must come with it because of HP?

I guess just wondering why it would have two anti-virus programs, especially since one is free.

I must sound like a fool.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

HP get paid by McAfee for bundling it and Defender is deactivated. If you uninstall McAfee - recommended - then just make sure Defender gets reactivated. If you are a safe browser Defender will be fine. You may need something like Kaspersky if you visit dodgy sites or are careless about opening attachments or links in emails. But no AV is 100% - it's largely down to the user to keep safe.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It is worth repeating - uninstall McAfee. It is probably a 90 day trial and you will be hounded to pay after 3 months. It is not worth spending money on!
    There are free av programs that do a better job.

9. chasf

chasf Private E-2

Just finished with the uninstall. Panda it is.

And just got my firefox back too. dunno how anyone gets by with IE.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds