Win Vista file type icon change

Discussion in 'Software' started by maxdamage, May 29, 2015.

1. maxdamage

maxdamage Private First Class

Is there a way to change the file type icon that is used for a certain app in win Vista? For some reason when I installed TopStyle lite 3.5 and changed the defaiult app for .css files from TopStyle lite v1.5 the file type icon did not get updated to the newer one in v3.5 I changed it in the registry but the v3.5 .css icon won't load and it displays a text file icon instead.

I did reinstall TopStyle lite v1.5 but it did not restore the older version of the icon nor did changing the link in the registry back to the previous one either.

Is there an app that I can use to fix\change file type icong in Vista Home Basic and does Win 7 allow me to do that like in Win Xp?

Thanks

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm running Vista Ultimate.

You should be able to right-click the desktop icon and select properties, click on the shortcut tab and select chage icon (see att'd).

Attached Files:

3. maxdamage

maxdamage Private First Class

Are you sure this will enable all .css files to display the right file type icon? Just asking?Will try this tomorrow when I am on the laptop.

Thanks.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not absolutely positive. I have an app that doesn't have an icon resource (Pysol Fan Club Solitaire) so, whatever I do won't change the desktop icon or any file type associations. However, the app, which was designed for Win XP, runs fine in Vista and Win 8.1.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds