VPN over Comcast...problem.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TR15220, May 9, 2004.

1. TR15220

TR15220 Private First Class

Using the 'standard' installation instructions from work....I am unable to connect using the Cicso VPN software.

The message is:

VPN.Client
    System Error: IPC socket allocation failed
    with error fffffff8h.

This is on an XP Pro machine using a D-Link DCM-200 Cable Modem and a D-Link DI-604 Enthernet router.

Prior to this, I did have VPN working using SecuRemote.

Trying to install the new Cisco VPN stuff causes the error message noted above and also causes me to lose the internet connection.

I have to roll back the XP PC to an earler date to enable the Internet connectivity.

The contact at work doesn't have a clue as to what the problem could be and I was wondering if any of you guys might have an idea or could point me in the right direction to diagnose and correct the problem.

(I am a VPN newby - in case that isn't obvious).

I did remove the router from the picture - retried the install - same results.
    I also removed/disabled all the firewall and antivirus stuff and that has not made a difference either.

I do not get any error messaage during the install.
    It just does not work and it messes up the Internet conncection.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

2. TR15220

TR15220 Private First Class

Man...not a single answer...VPN is a 'black art', eh?

Man...not a single answer...VPN is a 'black art', eh?

3. WINGURU

WINGURU Private E-2

I would make sure that the settings on both ends are matching up correctly. That would mean gateway settings, and encryption levels. Try that. Also,i think your going to need a router on your end(at your house) that supports VPN connections. I know linksys sells VPN routers.

4. Xtrchessreal

Xtrchessreal Private E-2

Comcast is your problem. I am a former Field Tech Contractor - never actually employed by Comcast. I can tell you there are many things that Comcast does Actively that will impede your free will while using broadband Internet service from Comcast. It is well documented and in fact they are now being investigated by the FCC and several lawsuits have been filed against Comcast. Just google around a bit you'll see what I mean.

They don't stop with the Internet services they provide, BTW, they have recently started ATSC (I think that’s the acronym) remapping on their video services. INO if you have basic video cable service with a new HDTV that has an ATSC tuner you will find that channels change often. For instance: I was watching a movie on TBS HD when the screen froze and then the channel disappeared. I mean I was not able to tune to that specific channel (87-13, channel-sub channel) and get TBS HD. The actual broadcast frequency stays the same but the channel is routinely remapped. Of course if you upgrade services and have a converter box the signal is not dropped because they can send a message to the box that the signal is remapped ATSC to this new ch-subch and no loss of signal occurs. So your box continues to show the same channel on its display and the EU never sees an issue.

In this manner they can create enough discomfort to the EU without a box such that they will upgrade services, or put up with the crap and keep auto reprogramming your new HDTV.

The RST packet thing over IP disrupts EU's that game online, download a lot, and even talk too much on the VoIP service from Vonage or Verizon. VoIP is data with a high priority due to Timing, too much jitter and you loose the conversation, drop packets etc. Can't make a phone call without it being broken up like a cell phone. Unless you use their VoIP service and their Arris or Motorola VoIP/internet cable modem, with the Comcast price tag.
    From Comcast perspective they have to maintain a certain level of bandwidth to provide everyone service and keep up with demand. Comcast does this partially by keeping heavy usage to a certain level. This way they can keep getting the customer base since, the cows keep calling them up, and the average EU has no idea (that's what they want, the average EU). For those that want to game and host and group share and VPN, go somewhere else. People are paying $52.00 a month for Broadband services that claim speeds of UP TO (key words) 4 Mbps at the basic service rate. But, with the RST packet thing you will never get that speed.

That’s faster than a T1 at 1.536 Mbps so it sounds really good. Once in a while you might get a download during off peak hours that actually gives you around 1.5 or maybe 2Mbps but it will be bursty and chopped up.

The difference is the network. Comcast cable is a single conducting two-way traffic network at the home. In other words, RG-6 has one conductor with one shielded return. The conductor has all the traffic both ways. From the home it is fed to a pedestal. The pedestal is just a tap. Like a tap for a faucet all the water/traffic is fed from the same pipe. Once the pipe is at its limit you cannot get the pressure per inch in the pipe anymore, too many taps, not enough pressure. So, you impose a public utility restriction not more than 2 gal per minute from the shower or tub. Only in this case the restriction is not public and not approved by the commissioner A.K.A. the FCC.

Comcast hoped that the technology would be too hard to figure out and could easily be doublespeaked when explaining it. But don't worry too much I am sure there will be a back door meeting that brings everyone up to speed as the new restriction becomes approved. What...loose all that business, when the economy is at such a poor point? Wouldn't it be better to keep at least some kind of service to the customer so everyone can still be online rather than reverse direction and force a network redesign. In the middle of the Analog to Digital Video change over. That would cause such a feedback that the Republicans could loose the Presidential election and more seats in the House and Senate even though it’s being handed to them by the Democrats...More Telecom fallout, more...

Slice it how you want, Comcast is your VPN problem.

X->out
    :cool

5. lukeswr

lukeswr Private E-2

I was having problems connecting to my work's Cisco VPN network. I was able to resolve it. . Here is the troubleshooting procedure:

1) Get on another public network and make sure that your computer/VPN client is not the problem. I used my BlackBerry ATT teathering software and was successfull connecting my VPN client to my work's network.
    2) Go directly to you Comcast cable modem. This is not recommended for long periods of time since your computer can become a direct target of all kinds of nasty hackers on the network. I was able to connect to my work's network through the Cisco VPN client. The problem was not Comcast.
    3) I connected directly to my Cicso SR520 router. The CLI settings on the SR520 are very complicated. I was able to connect to my work's network through my VPN client. The problem was not my SR520.
    4) I went to the VPN settings tab of my Linksys WRT54G. After I enabled the IPSec passthrough, I was able to connect to my work's network.

Summary: Make sure "IPSec passthrough" is enabled.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds