Reformatted Hard Drive - help

Discussion in 'Software' started by mollylily, May 30, 2006.

1. mollylily

mollylily Private E-2

I appologize ahead of time for asking what I'm sure are very stupid questions. But I have an HP Pavilion 8500 with Windows 98SE that I want to give to someone for basic computer/internet use. I reformatted the hard drive and used the original system disks to return the computer to it's original settings and programs. However, I know very little about drivers, etc. I have everything up an running, I was even able to finally get it to detect the modem and can get on AOL. But the display settings are not correct and you can't see anything because it won't go any higher than 16 colors. I've tried searching for new driver on the Windows 98 CD but can't seem to get it right. I have an HP S70 monitor. Right now it says that it has teh Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) installed. If you try to install something different it gives an error message.

Also, there is no sound! And when you start it up it says it needs a driver for a PCI Ethernet Controller and when it searches for one it can't find it. I'm thinking I "may" be able to solve these 2 issues once I get the video thing fixed and can get on the internet and see everything. But I'm not sure.

I appreciate any help you can give.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

A stupid question is the one thats not asked! So Welcome :)

Generally as you have a pre-build PC the makers as in HP will have all the basic drivers you need either on the cd or at their website, as you have checked the CD, that leaves only the website support for HP, sadly their are 66 Pavilion models, so would their be any other model numbers on the case at all narrowing this down a touch?

Or failing that we can go through a report from EVEREST ( Free ) as its a PC information tool, and try and pick out the correct drivers, I'm guessing but, I would imagine its an Intel CPU?

also its possible the graphics card is the Intel onboard graphics solution ( at the year those PCs would have ben released it "could be" the Intel 910 onboard GFX ) , we would just need to know which one, again the Everest report should help with those two and the others.

The first one we need to know and install will be the correct chipset driver as that one is needed for some of the others to be correctly identified and installed, then you work upto the graphics and sound.

BUT install Everest and run the report, once run and saves as a .txt file , attach it to your next post and we will try and help you with the correct drivers. ( please only attach the report as they can be long and sometimes not formatted correctly to read in a forum thread )

To attach a files follow this HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

3. mollylily

mollylily Private E-2

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my questions. I downloaded Everest and ran a scan like you suggested. After reading the results it reminded me that someone had installed a new video card and sound card on that computer that wasn't original hardware. I found the disks and I'm up and running! I just needed a little shove in the right direction.

I haven't gotten to the PCI Ethernet controller yet. I'm not sure what the problem is there. If, after I spend some time on it, I can't figure it out. I'll be back :)

Thanks again for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds