Choosing a 16th Bday present

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by splitt3r, Feb 6, 2007.

1. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

well today is my 16th bday, and my main present is $100 to spend on newegg. I am mostly a PC gamer so I could use some hardware upgrades, and I am also considering a new set of speakers. my specs are in my sig, and I can probably spend more than that because I am expecting a partial check from the paper route(today is my last day, I can finally get a real job:D ) just stay under $200. so what would be most beneficial. I have been playing a lot of BF2142 lately and i am not too impressed by the performance.so here are some considerations.

1gb of PC3200 DDR RAM, would having 2gb be a big benefit?
    new video card... the 7600gt is within my price range but I don't know if it is a worthy upgrade from a 6600gt.
    windows vista-I kinda doubt it will be of any use, what do you think?
    Speakers, which ones look best to you? I am upgrading from cyberacoustics 60w speakers so anything around $100 would probably be better, surround or not. I like to listen to loud metal music.
    sound card-would it improve the sound quality with my current speakers?
    12 cases of 16oz bawls cans

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

3. splitt3r

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I have the same speakers, but only 2 speakers instead of 5. I live in a dorm (so no room for 5). They sound pretty good I'd say. The subwoofer can push some mean double bass kicks ;)

5. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Go with the ram. It will definitely help with performance in BF2142 and just about everything else. When I run the game I find myself using about 1.7GB of my 2GB of ram so you could use the boost. :) And Happy Birthday!

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ram definitely. either that or speakers. i vote for the creative inspire p7800: 7.1 all the way baby! i love mine

Splitt3r, where u been man? havent seen u around for a long time

7. splitt3r

I have just been busy with other things, got myself a wii and some great PC games. My life has also been kinda busy lately so i haven't had a lot of time to spend on forums. thanks for the advice. i bought 1gb of this RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145505

and I have some money left over for whatever. if i get a decent check this month I might be able to buy those logitech speakers.creatives are good, but probably out of my budget right now.

8. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

9. splitt3r

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds