internet explorer won't open PDF files

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrPewty, Oct 2, 2014.

1. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Whenever I try to open a PDF file, from any source, IE 11 (Windows 7, home) crashes. It eventually tells me this:

Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer

A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage.

What you can do:

Go to your home page

Try to return to "webpage"

More information More information

I can "save target as" and open it on my PC, so it's not a huge deal, but I was wondering if there is a known reason and/or fix.

Firefox works, btw.

Thanks.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You can only open PDFs in IE if you have a PDF plugin installed. These normally come with PDF software you install yourself. However Win 8.1 has its own PDF reader app though I'm not sure whether it also provides the capability to read PDFs in IE11. So which OS are you using and what PDF software?

3. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

I'm using Widows 7 Home Premium and according to my Control Panel Programs list I have:

Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin

Adobe Flash Player 14 ActiveX

Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0

PDF Complete Special Edition

Thanks,

4. Earthling

Well, I'd never heard of PDF Complete Special Edition so had to find out a little about it. Seems it's part of the pre-installed software on HP computers so I guess you are using an HP? With a third party PDF reader the usual advice would be to uninstall it and reinstall it, but as it came pre-installed we don't have that option. If this is a problem that has unexpectedly arisen when everything was working normally then the first advice is usually to perform a system restore to a date that precedes the problem. If that is possible then try it and let us know how it goes.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Couldn't one disable that add-on in IE, then install adobe reader, which has the plugin for IE?

6. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Thanks for the responses. I don't want to try a System Restore as it has been a problem for a while and I don't want to change something else inadvertently. As I said, I can use Firefox, or save a PDF and then open it. It's more of a curiosity. I just want to know what's going on.

I didn't know I didn't have Adobe Reader. I just assumed all PCs had it if you could read PDFs. I might have a go at installing that.

Thanks again.

7. Earthling

theefool is probably right in that you should be able to disable the PDF plugin in IE, but before you install the monstrous Adobe Reader there are alternatives, such as Sumatra PDF or Foxit Reader which do the same job but with half the effort.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. Earthling

There is one in FF so IE too I would think

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

Firefox has one built in, I'm thinking that chrome does also. I doubt IE does. But, they are quite limited with what you can do.

If you need full featured adobe reader, then stick with that.

I've used the free versions in the past, they are nice, but they are not 100% compatible. Especially if you need to print. ugh.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

12. Earthling

Ahh, didn't know that, thanks.
    I once had a visa application fail because Foxit had failed to print the bottom line of the application form, hopefully it's since been improved, but I'm currently using Sumatra and haven't seen any evidence of printing problems. It's just that Adobe is such a sledgehammer of a program.

13. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds