Transfering saved passwords to a new computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by mmurek, Mar 17, 2006.

1. mmurek

mmurek Private E-2

Is it possible to transfer stored member names, passwords and bookmarks to a new computer for Firefox? Both machines are running XP. I also can't figure out how to transfer my old E-mail from Outlook express.

TIA for any help,
    Mitch

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Good guide to backing up Outlook:
    http://www.iopus.com/guides/oe-backup.htm

Dont know enough about Firefox to help you there, I use IE, which is easy to copy the favorites folder. I also use AI Roboform to manage passwords.

3. mmurek

mmurek Private E-2

Thanks for Outlook link, exactly what I needed!

4. Wiseloki

Wiseloki Private E-2

Best way to do this in Firefox IMHO would be to copy the contents of your profile folder, which in XP should be found at c:\documents and settings\<user name>\application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles, where you'll see a folder for each profile, which will look something like "abjh5n9y.default". Copy the contents of this to a removable drive or disk. On the new PC set up a user profile in Firefox then shut it down. Navigate to the Firefox profile folder on the new PC, delete all of the content of the folder (not the folder itself) and replace with the contents of your old profile folder. When you open Firefox on the new machine, it should be identical to your old profile.

You'll need to make sure you have the same version of Firefox on each machine, and that you have Windows Explorer set to show hidden files and folders.

Hope this helps. I use this method all the time to keep a good backup of my profiles, in case my current profiles get corrupted.

5. mmurek

mmurek Private E-2

Thank you for the firefox tip. Worked perfect!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds