access to specific websites barred for no reason

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Essentialbear, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Essentialbear

Essentialbear Private E-2

Machine - Sony Vaio PCG-K115M, 1.5 yrs old, running XP home/office 2003

I recently started getting the standard 'page cannot be displayed message' when visiting certain sites, eg itunes, yahoo and work webmail service. have not knowingly installed any software to this end, and have checked security settings/restricted sites in IE tools but nothing shows. another laptop on same wireless network can access them fine so this is not a problem with the sites being down.

Don't know what to do next, would be pleased to get any advice.

2. Qwertyman66

Qwertyman66 Private E-2

Have you run any AntiVirus/Spyware scans since you had this problem? Check out the spyware forums and go through their steps if you haven't already. It sounds like a problem on the laptop rather than the network to me.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. Qwertyman66

Qwertyman66 Private E-2

Cool link Halo, I knew that was a an occasional issue, but didnt think of it this time (I didn't even know about the knowledge base article). I'm gonna have to keep that link.
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds