External hard drive doesn't register properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Than Naing, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Than Naing

Than Naing Private E-2

Hey,

I have a Philips 320gb external hard drive with three partitions. Two are true-crypted and one is normal, formatted with Fat 32 I believe.

I recently got two laptops reformatted and had XP SP3 installed on them in a shop because they came with Vista and wouldn't boot directly from my standard XP disk.

When I plug my hard drive into them, the first (encrypted) partition registers and I can mount it as normal with TC, but the other two partitions don't show up at all. But it works fine on every other computer, and other USB drives work fine on the newly formatted ones.

All partitions show up in Disk Manager and it says they are 'Healthy'.

I have tried several things, including:
    - trying all the USB ports
    - making sure Windows is updated
    - 'Scan for hardware changes' and 'update driver' in Disk Management
    - changing the drive letter in Disk Manager
    - using TweakUI to check all drives were enabled
    - disabling the 1394 connection and rebooting (as some forums suggested)
    - taking it back to the shop (they had no idea what the problem was)

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Than Naing

Than Naing Private E-2

I forgot something: In once computer, a Toshiba Satellite, in Device Manager, if I select 'Show hidden devices' there appears 'Unknown device' under PCI Bus. I cannot install it because the computer can't find any software for it.

In the second, a Compaq, the same process reveals Non-Plug and Play Drivers>Other devices>Keyboard_Filter_01, and Non-P and P Drivers>Serial which is 'not present, not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)'

I don't know if either of these are related to the other issues.

Cheers,
    d.

3. Than Naing

Than Naing Private E-2

Don't mean to be rude, but lots of later posts have been replied to already. I would post on another forum but I gather it's not the done thing, so I guess I have to keep waiting.

Cheers.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I'm not familiar with TrueCrypt so I don't think I can be of much help to you. My only thought regarding your problem is that perhaps you should try using the external hard drive without TrueCrypt to see whether you can get the computers to see all partitions. Once you achieve that, then go back to TrueCrypt and try it again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds