Cleanup! versus Cleanup!. 1 Free, 1 Shareware

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Jul 17, 2005.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

For ages now I have been recommending

Cleanup! from http://www.stevengould.org/

(It works well, FWIW), together with

CrapCleaner, aka CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

and EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575 ,

as a 3 pronged attack on stuff accumulated after every net session.

I have been using these 3, all FREE, for ages now. Each finds stuff the other 2 miss.

While checking out MG for an uninstall program, I came across

Cleanup! from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=990

This one you have to PAY $$$ for.

Same title, even to the!, different program, different author, from the first link above.

Now I know why most MG 'ers install CCleaner but not Cleanup! as they think they have to pay for it. I only found the shareware version on MG.

Download the free version, from the link to www.stevengould.org.

He has just released a new version (v4.0), as well. I've just downloaded it. Haven't tried it yet, but if it is as good, or better, than old versions, I will be happy. Bazza

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As you have recomended it Bazza, I trust your recomendations so will give this app a go, generally I have used a paid version of East-Tec Eraser to clean-up the Cr*p!

3. DavidGP

oooh G-lock do some nifty apps :)

AA tools are very good, only used the demo and didnt get around to buying it but its very good network troubleshooting tool.

but dont give bazza too many choices... he will explode ;) ;)

HEY ... WHAT... oh hell Star can read minds.. how the hell did you know I was going to post that?????? :confused: *looks around room for hidden cameras*

4. DavidGP

yeah I know ... but he has very nice guide on different tweaks/apps/fixes in the making :)

5. bigbazza

Thanks Halo and Star17 for the kind words. As mentioned earlier, I use all 3, with their standard defaults, after every net session. Love all 3. They work for me.

As to alternate programs, I am always interested to read about them. I am compiling a list of tips/tricks/sites, mainly for my own use, so that I have much stuff, on varied subjects, in one place. I was using a tabbed Notepad editor but the sheer volume of stuff overwhelmed it. Bazza

6. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

Here is a tweak you may be interested in trying,write your own batch file for a cleanup app.

Step 1.
    Create a new text file and place the following contents inside:

c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /dc /sageset: 1
    c:
    cd \
    cd c:\windows\prefetch
    del *.* /q

Step 2.
    Save the file, changing the extension from .txt to .bat
    For this tip's purpose, we will call it clean.bat

Step 3.
    Execute the file. This will run the Disk Cleanup program in a special mode which asks what items you will want cleaned when Disk Cleanup performs an unattended cleanup. Check the items you wish to have cleaned up, then click OK.

Step 4.
    Right-click on the clean.bat file and click edit. Change the first line to read:

c:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe /dc /sagerun: 1

Step 5.
    Save the file. You can execute this file in place of running Disk Cleanup, or, to have this program run unattended, run the Add Scheduled Task Wizard in the Control Panel and create a scheduled task using the clean.bat file you just created.

Note: This cleanup script will also clear windows prefetch directory. Often this directory can become cluttered with old appication and a cleaning would free up disk space but it will result in a one time performance decrease and windows has to rebuild the cache with active software afterwards.
    :)

7. bigbazza

Thanks Bchivers. Wish there were more programs that could be automated, by any means. Bazza

8. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

Your welcome,glad I could help. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds