unknown driver !

Discussion in 'Software' started by evanrob, May 2, 2010.

1. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Good Evening, problem here is as stated an unknown driver. About 15 months ago I purchased my current computer ,wich uses a Foxconn Mother Board 945G7MD Intel Pentium Dual CPU 2Ghz Ram.. There is no Serial PCI just nowadays the normal USB (thats another story ) I needed a PCI Card to install , for 'Ham' communication purposes and subsequently purchased a 'PCI Series Adapter' (from Hong Kong ! ) Unfortunately ,no driver info ; been trying to get this info, but to date -- no luck (lesson here ??) .. Hence this 'cry for help'. Yes , have tried various .. driver ... channels, but again, nil..
    Any help or advice much appreciated,, oh ! by the way forgot to mention the Serial 'card' is fitted into the PCI slot , just waiting for a driver ! Thanks for your time . fingers crossed ............

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which Windows version are you using?

On the PCI board, are there any codes or markings that could be a product name or model code, an FCC number would be good?

In Device Manager, you have the unknown device error? double click the device to open its properties, then click the Details tab and then in the Property dropdown choose Hardware Ids and copy and paste the text in your next post.

3. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Hi HALO ,
    and thanks for your reply, my apologies for the O/S omission.Currently using Windows Media Edition.. Please bear with me , I am far ,far from computer literate.. The small box that the Serial card came in, does not seem to have any obvious reference re conformity, just a lot of details ' PCI to serial port,32- bit PCI local bus specification revision 2.0. 2 downstream USB ports' etc etc.
    As you requested ,went into device manager, found hardware ID's, found it difficult to copy and paste, so did it the hard way !

Pci\VEN_1106&DEV_3068&subsys_4211543&REV_80
    Pci\VEN_1106&DEV_30684&subsys_4c211543
    Pci\VEN_1106&DEV_3068CC_078000
    Pci\VEN_1106&DEV_3068CC_0780...

Hope I got it right, please forgive me if I have not .. Thanks again for your interest; best wishes

4. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Hi HALO once again
    Please accept my apologies , the details in my last post were in fact totally wrong. My own stupidity now shows that I was using my old computer , to read hardware details......The updated figures are as follows ..
    Windows XP Media Edition: Motherboard, Foxconn srl 945G7MD.. From device driver ....

PCI\VEN_4348&DEV_32538&SUBSYS_32534348&REV_10
    PCI\VEN_4348&DEV_3253&SUBSYS_32534348
    PCI\VEN_4348%DEV_3253&CC_070002
    PCI\VEN_4348&DEV_3253&CC_0700

Trust this makes sense . and appreciate your help .. best wishes

5. DavidGP

Hi

Glad you corrected that as I couldnt find much with the first listing, the second one does show information on a PCI Serial Card from China,

This one HERE

or this one HERE

6. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Hi HALO, many thanks for the reply :: Boy oh Boy, what a palaver, just been through a chaotic half hour trying out the the two references you supplied. The first one , well Google stepped in, when I tried a download, and said ,'Sorry required page contains a file type(application/octet-stream) we are unable to translate' .. HTTP://wch.cn/download/down.asp?id=115 ..
    The second ref said much the same (French to English) DRIVER CURE
    'Sorry etc etc '
    As stated ,I am not very computer literate, so its quite possible I am approaching this all wrong,, .. If I am trying your patience, too much, then by all means tell me so, I most certainly won't be offended !!
    Again, many thanks evanrob

7. DavidGP

Hi

No your not approaching it the wrong way, sadly my chinese is none existant and I'm not in work this week to ask someone to navigate through the pages of the original page (I work with some chinese nationals) so needed to have it translated so I could get the download.

That said this will take you direct to the first DOWNLOAD

and this the second DOWNLOAD

X's fingers that these work for you, hardware ID codes match up.

8. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Hi HALO,
    Thanks again for the info.. Glad to know that I was at least, on the 'right track' The first 'suggestion' you offered, well my security prog warned me off it, classed as 'Dangerous'.. The second; to do with Driver Cure .. I did a scan and of course ,found many old or obsolete drivers,(as expected) then offered me the chance to 'Fix' for a given price !! Fair enough; Food for thought ,, so it is really down to me ....! May I offer my sincere thanks for all the helpful suggestions on your part, very much appreciated, trust I have'nt been too much of a nuisance.. My best wishes to you, and yours, 'Evanrob'

9. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

You have probably already done this but if not, and you havent got the issue resolved yet . . .

Have you tried to install the hardware manually? . . . I mean by going to control panel, add hardware, and then searching for the device you have installed.

I'm using XP pro SP3. I did a manual search through the options, and finally found an option for a "multi port serial adapters". There was only one thing listed, and that was a "Port server" by Digi. There may be better catagories that I missed, but that was the closest I could come.

It's a long shot, but you could try and install the driver provided . . . I know a few times this approach has saved me when I couldn't find an exact driver - I found a driver that worked well enough to allow the device to function somewhat. On more then one instance I then searched Microsoft for drivers and one more compatable was found, now that the system "knew" what the card was supposed to do.

Here is a reference sheet I ran across that might have usefull data:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO-6.html

All of this is probably not near to being what you need - I'm not very familier with PCI serial cards (though I did find an ISA one down in the basement "graveyard"). But perhaps something here might help.

Good luck!

10. DavidGP

Hi

Weird on the first link as I scanned them both, but now looking at the actual files in detail the first link, dont seem to be driver files at all, maybe as that WCH.CN company is the original maker is that they are the actual chipset code over drivers, the second link, sorry should have said dont click the large download button on that page (never pay for drivers) but the Download URL: Download link further up the text, have downloaded this package and looked at the files now and dont think they are Serial Drivers, they must have messed up a link and named it the driver you are after, teaches me to actually not only download the files but look at the code/files.

However this one is a Serial Driver HERE (have given the most direct link and just type in the two words and then click the download button, this file I have run through a Virus multiple scanner and results HERE)

11. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Hello SPAD, thanks for the info you kindly supplied, I did in fact run through the info you mention, but unfortunately, I have nothing 'onthe menu', re serial ports..however I must say I found the notes on the 'HOW TO' site quite interesting , insomuch that I now realise , I am probably 'flogging a dead horse' !! Thank you again , for your input , much appreciated.. Best wishes

12. DavidGP

Hi

Just noticed you reading this thread so I thought I would see whats the state of play and just noticed I didnt leave the link in my last post, ooops! did leave the virus scan results but HERE is the download, sorry forgot the link earlier.

13. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Halo, I just have to keep on saying 'thank you', and again, much appreciation..
    I must confess I am feeling rather baffled, (as you must be ) chasing different avenues , this latest one ,Halo, was certainly most enlightening regarding the multiple security scans on the various downloads,, What I did not quite understand was the reference to HERE and telling me to type the 'two words' ???? Am I again , missing something !! Regards, evanrob

14. DavidGP

Hi evanrob..

Sorry my fault on the last post of mine as I forgot the link to the actual download and just linked to the virus scan as I wanted to show you that the drivers I link to I will have downloaded and scanned myself to make sure they are ok.. you must have missed my additional post when I noticed the error I had done, a post above yours earlier/

But just forgot the damn link to the actual driver, head in clouds no doubt or doing 7 tasks at once.. but HERE is the actual link, just need to type in the two words and then click the download button

If it doesnt download for you I will grab it againand host it on my personal webspace for you, but lookinbg at the driver files it seems the best we are likely to find as it does link to a serial PCI card and the correct model IDs

15. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

HI Halo,

Sorry for the delay in replying.. Thanks for the 'download' explanation, Well, I went into the URL , entered the specified two word 'code' confirmation , downloaded the file , clicked Run and everthing went haywire, with 'unamed tabs flying across the heading' ,,,,,..eventually I stopped things ,, and went back to square one,, finished up with a page
    'Drv-1p - Drv-151 - Drv-25 ' etc etc .. Tried each in turn , choice of Linux or Windows , naturally tried Windows , but just could not make sense of any of it .. so sorry , after all your trouble... Do you think it would be better if I 'scrubbed ' the whole idea of my Serial card, and plump for a USB to Serial ??? (a decent one ! ) Must confess, I bought such a usb to serial complete with mini disc + Trojan ! it's true , so that idea was 'binned ' , again no success.. Surely you must wish you had'nt bothered.....!! My sincere thanks, anyway..... evanrob

16. DavidGP

Hi

No not at all on "hadnt bothered" just curious to whats going on now, TBH alot of generic hardware out of china can be a pain to get going when no driver disk is supplied, but guessing that the last driver should work.

Do you still have the downloaded file? if not I uploaded it HERE to my online space to make the download process much easier.

Once unzipped all you should need to do it to click the Setup file, which in turn gives you a menu list "select PCI card" , now at this list you need to choose One Serial card (would be my guess) and then click DRV_1S1P > Windows and click OK

If that doesnt work then sorry I dont know what to suggest next apart from get a card from say Maplin as you can if it doesnt work correctly at least take it back, plus you'd be able to check that if it needed a driver the disk is present.

17. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Halo , Halo,
    You are a genius, mate, Downloaded at my second attempt, checked Device Manager, and there it is ,,, ( pardon me while I do 'cartwheels ) Really, I hardly know what to say.. you may as well know , friend, my age is 89 yrs, so you will appreciate it when I repeat, 'I am not computer literate', and I am well aware what a 'drain' I am on people far far more 'on the ball' than myself.. That is why again,I offer my sincere thanks for all your help,... just wish there was some material way I could show my appreciation....... Finally, you can take a breather, until the next 'old codger' comes along.??. My sincere thanks once more ,Halo, Best Wishes , and, God Bless.....evanrob

18. DavidGP

Hi evanrob

WOW great stuff.... dont do too many cartwheels as you'll break something but I know how you feel when something ends up working after a fair bit of work to get it going, NO NO NO you are not a drain on anyone and while some may know more on computing than you TBH if they like me are honest they find great satisfaction in assisting other users to get the most out of computing, I know I do as I wouldnt be posting as much as I do on this forum.

Hey my pleasure, just glad we finally managed to get the drivers and the card working, I do now hope it works ok with your HAM radio hardware.
    you have already done so, in just saying thanks and feeding back that what we have been trying has worked.

Hahahahaha, guess I can now have that well earned glass of red wine ;) 89yrs young, wow, your having fun with computing...

David

Again many thanks for the feedback and comments, hope you will stick around on the forum,

19. evanrob

evanrob Private E-2

Hi David, after such a rewarding exercise , Major Geeks Forum,and your good self, has to be my number one stop for help,! which hopefully I won't need in the future ; at least, computer -wise ??Thanks again, Good Health and Best Wishes, Vin Roberts

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds