Cannot get any windows version installed, infinite reboot loop?

Discussion in 'Software' started by believeinapathy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. believeinapathy

believeinapathy Private E-2

I built my own custom PC through parts I ordered from newegg last week. Putting the computer together was surprisingly the easy part, while installing a windows OS has been ridiculous. I tried installing windows xp for a few days after running into 0x7b bsod errors, finally getting it to the point it would set up and then would reboot and put the monitor in sleep mode. I tried vista which just immediately gave me the "putting the monitor to sleep" thing right after it said "starting windows."

Now i'm trying windows 7 and I once again can't do it. It boots up and does the setting up windows bar, then when it goes to "starting windows" it reboots itself, and does that on repeat. I really hope somebody can help, it's incredibly disheartening to spend $500+ just to have it do anything within its power to not work.

I've tried unplugging everything that isn't neccesary, running 1 stick of RAM, I've tried setting it to IDE, RAID, and HCPI. I have tried 2 separate Windows 7 discs. I've reformatted the HD (using xp) multiple times and tried multiple partitions. Windows 7 simply wont even let me get into the installation portion.

Anybody who could help it would be greatly appreciated, I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a few days now and it's getting tiring.

Specs:
    BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
    Radeon HD 6850 (currently not in system)
    1TB Hitachi HDD
    480W Black Steel PSU

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

This reply may sound a bit hazy but i have used it twice on PCs that would not load the windows OS.
    I first loaded Linux OS and then without doing anything else just popped the W7 disk in and it formatted the HDD loaded windows.
    As i said it is hazy but it worked for me.

3. believeinapathy

I'm willing to try anything at this point. Computers are so random in their errors i've realized that literally anything (no matter how strange it sounds) can fix the problem. So what did you do? Installed Linux and then once that was set up just tried installing W7? I'll give it a shot, with my luck it wont work but, I'm running out of ideas, ha.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thats exactly what i did and can not give a logical explanation as to why it worked but it did,

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Attached Files:

6. believeinapathy

This was the error message i would recieve while trying to install xp. With the 7 install, i dont get error messages, i just get to "starting windows" once the disc boots then it restarts.

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you get into safe mode and select "Disable Auto-restart on system failure"? Then reboot. It may give an error so you can diagnose the problem. If you can get into safe mode, try to install the drivers from your Driver disk you received with the motherboard. Page 23 of your manual.

If that does not work, maybe the Windows 7 install disk does not have the proper drivers for your SATA controller.

Download the SATA drivers here. Unzip the file and copy the files from the X86 or X64 folder depending on if your OS is 32bit or 64bit. Do not copy the folders. Just the files in the folder to a USB flash drive. Connect the USB flash drive and when you are installing Windows 7, select Load Driver at the following place in the install.

[​IMG]

I am not sure what the memory code is for your Gskill but does it match the supported memory list on Biostar's support list?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds