Operating System Error on bootup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SVicious, Oct 5, 2004.

1. SVicious

SVicious Private E-2

I currently bought a Sony CD-R/RW model crx230ad

My current computer is a hp pavilion 766mhz Celeron with 192 mb.

I installed the drive it would be the second drive I installed in the computer. I can get to the set up but after its diagonsistic it gives me operating system not found

I use Windows XP pro, the computer worked fine until I put the new drive in, can some help me out here?

2. SVicious

SVicious Private E-2

I kind of figured the problem out, I somehow pulled one of the pins out of the motherboard port that you plug the ide cable into. So I took the cable completely out of the computer leaving the slot empty. But ran into another problem, now I get Cannont use boot partition and signatures, I am trying to get windows 2000 pro in now but i get that message on boot up, it than goes to the windows setup and eventually it says it can't find the drives and reboots on me. How do I fix this new problem now

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

are you saying your mobo is physically damaged?

4. SVicious

SVicious Private E-2

yea, one of the ide connector slots is missing a pin now. So I am not using it, but now can't seem to figure out why im getting cannot use boot partition and signatures,

I no longer get the Operating System not found, I can't even go through windows 2000 pro without getting it saying it can't find drives or something in that regard

5. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

Try going into your bios set up and find the boot priority. Set first boot priority to hdd. If it was set to cd then maybe it is checking for a cd rom first and when it can't find any installed it gives you that error.

Rick

6. SVicious

SVicious Private E-2

I went into my bios I have no boot priority or even a option I can set to hdd

7. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Sorry its late gatta get sleep will get back to you tomarrow.

You do have a boot priority somewhere in your bios

8. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

try putting the hdd in the IDE channel that you didn't break ... Im thinking there is no way you are going to be able to repair that IDE connector

9. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Yes I agree with Pyrate

You can't fix a broken pin if you are sure you broke it. I was thinking the hdd was on the first ide channel and you did'nt touch that and the cd you were trying to install was on the second ide channel and you broke a pin on that one. If this is the case then you should still be able to boot the hdd and when you do you can put the cd on that channel as a slave.

But first make sure you did'nt pull of the power to the hdd when you were working around it

10. SVicious

SVicious Private E-2

still can't get by the boot partition cannot be used on strat up. I have the ide cable connected to the slave slot, and the primary slot is empty. I have no idea how to disable the primary, because when I go through bios all i can disable is the 32 bit option

11. Doby

Doby Sergeant

plug one end of the ide cable into the non- broken ide connector on the mobo, plug the other end into the hard drive.

Don't plug any other ide drives in.

Make sure power connecter is connected to hard drive.

Turn on when the hp logo screen appears hit F1

You will now be in bios on the menu use you arrow keys on keyboard and highlight boot then press enter.

Set the first boot device as hdd, press enter

make sure you save changes then exit, the computer should boot to window if not there maybe mobo damage beyond repair.

Maybe some else will offer advice.

let us know

Rick

12. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

i might note to be sure you set the jumper on the HDD correctly ... the right setting is usually located on the top of the drive .. if not search the HDD manufacturers website

13. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I'm assuming you're using the IDE hard drive interface in your system.

If so, I think you have a problem. As far as I know, the IDE interface will permit you to boot into Windows only from the master drive on the primary IDE channel.

Some other operating systems can be put on other drives, but I believe that you'd still need a boot loader on the first drive, i.e., the master drive on the primary channel.

If so, your only option may be to install an IDE adapter card in one of the expansion slots. There was a day when that was the only option for an IDE drive.

But perhaps someone out there can tell me that I'm wrong, or that there is a workaround that you can use. If so, we can all learn something.

14. laly24

laly24 Private E-2

Hi, everyone, I'm new here I have an issue related to the starting process of my laptop, I have a getaway with a OS: Windows vista (Upgraded from Windows XP), my computer was working fine, It automatically started to install the service pack two but it was taking longer than usual, It was actually installing during the whole night. So this morning i couldn't wait anymore and turn it off. Suddenly when I try to start it up my laptop, I get this error message:

Invalid Boot INI File
    Booting from C:] Windows\

Couild anyone help me to resolve this issue? please is there any tips for this?
    do i have to re-install everything again?
    Can somebody tell me how?

Thanks
    rolleyes

15. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi All,

One pin is sometimes left out of the IDE connectors on the MB. It was used as a key. The cable connectore had a plug in that position. It was about the center of the connector.

Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds