Help deleting an operating system choice & help with partition backup questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by tonysolomon, Jun 28, 2006.

1. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

I have 3 drives. One has XP on it (C: drive) and unallocated space. The second drive has files that I want to copy into that space. The third drive (F: drive) is 114GB of unallocated space. I would like a working copy of XP on the F: drive, so that I can run editing software on it. All three drives are in the same PC, for now.

The C: drive is the XP version that I want to backup. It is a 28GB partition. When I installed windows, I left the other 272GB unallocated. Windows doesn't see the entire drive, even though I've updated to SP2 and installed Maxtor's "Big Drive Enabler".

I want to make that unallocated space on the C: drive into three logical partitions. I also want to back up each logical partition. However, right now, I only want to backup the 28GB partion (C: drive). Currently, Partition Magic sees the unallocated partitions on the C: drive and the F: drive (where I'll be backing my files up to); Windows XP does not.

My two questions are:

Should I create and fill the logical partitions before making a backup copy of the C: drive?

and

Out of the following choices, which method should I use to do the copying/backing up the different partitions?

Windows XP - copy & paste
    Windows XP - xp backup utility
    partition magic - copy a partition
    partition magic - create a backup partition

----------------------

I would like to keep both of my problems in one thread, if that's okay.

-----------------------

I need help deleting an operating choice.

I just had several frustrating hours trying to get XP on my PC. I've finally succeeded and gotten all of the updates. I want to backup the C: drive, but I see the following message when I turn on the PC:

"please select the operating system to start". Below that it says Windows XP, twice.

If I choose the top one it starts the XP that I've finally got working.

If I choose the bottom choice it says, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

I need to know how to delete that bottom choice. Does anyone have any ideas other than formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows?

2. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

EDIT:
    I Found the following article that describes a solution, but it doesn't work for me. I disconnected all hard drives, but the C: drive and that's the only drive that I see in My Computer/Windows Explorer.

Code:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Remove-One-Operating-System-from-a--Dual-Boot-Windows-XP-Computer&id=52280

3. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Okay. I've fixed the second problem. In case anyone else has the problem, here's how to delete the extra boot.ini file:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

Modifying the Boot.ini
    While you can modify the Boot.ini file using the Startup and Recovery dialog, where you can select the default operating system, change the timeout value, or manually edit the file, the following method uses the command line utility, Bootcfg.exe.

Note The Bootcfg.exe utility is only available in Windows XP Professional. This utility is not available in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. Therefore, this section does not apply to Windows XP Home Edition.1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open text box, type cmd.
    3. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /?.
    4. The help and parameters for BOOTCFG.exe will display.

Removing an Operating System
    At the command prompt, type:
    bootcfg /delete /ID#
    Where # specifies the boot entry ID that you want to be deleted from the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file (e.g. 2 for the second Operating system that is listed.) :D

4. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

If I made four primary partitions, would that stop the C: drive, if it were corrupted, from not allowing access to the other partitions?

5. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Regarding the last question, does each primary partition have to have an OS on it to access the data?

I'm trying to decide if I should have one or four primary partitions.

If I have only one primary and Windows gets corrupted, what setup (primary or extended w/ or w/out logical) would assure that I can still get to my data from another disk containing Windows?

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can access data on any partition ...put windows on the primary (C) and you can do a backup image to any of the others (as long as it's big enough). start/programs/accessories/system tools/backup.

7. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Never mind that last question.

"When there are multiple primary partitions on a hard drive, only one can be active at any one time. The other primary partition(s) are hidden. "

I found that out at:

http://www.ahuka.com/other/partition.html

I wish there was a way to delete posts. This threads probably chasing away good help on that first question. Sorry.

8. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

I've been told that XP backup compresses the files. That's why I'm not sure whether to use copy and paste or Partition Magic's copy vs. backup a partition. I don't want to have a compressed version not uncompress correctly. I don't know the odds.

9. TimW

Are those partitions formatted ....right click the partition and create active/logical disc (control panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management/...)
    Patition magic copy is good.

10. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

I haven't changed anything since the first post. So far, I only have one active partition and one unallocated space (all on the main drive). I do understand partitioning, but there's a few pages on the Net that say the non-active primary partitions will be hidden.

11. TimW

Make them active.

12. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

The C: drive is active. Should I make 3 primarypartitions out of the unallocated space?

I gotta go, but I'll check for your response in a bit. Thank you for the help.

13. TimW

Yes.

14. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Thanks Tim. I guess things have changed, in regards to hidden partitions, since that article above.

Which backup method would you choose from the first post?

15. TimW

16. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Thanks, I'll check it out.

17. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Now I'm thinking of using cloning software, like Ghost 10 or Acronis True Image, because I think that will work better in case of OS failure. However, since I already have Windows XP backup, Partition Magic, and a recent free downloaded version of Cobian Backup. I'm not sure which one of those I should use or if I should ever use any of them.

I guess copy and paste & XP backup should not be used first, since the MBR and registry are to be copied, unless I used another disk with XP on it to copy with, but I would have to install XP again.

I suppose I could use the Partition Magic, now, and schedule Windows XP backups or Cobian, later, but cloning seems better. I still don't know if I should use copy a partition or create a backup partition. They sound the same.

Does anyone have any helpful solutions to this problem?

What good is backing up if cloning is exact?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  18. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Update:
    I noticed that PartitionMagic has tips for both of those choices, but I'm still unclear of what the real difference is. I do know that it said that I can use their Data Keeper program as a backup program if I use "backup a partition".

Here's what the tips said:

PartitionMagic - Create Backup Partition

Use the Create Backup Partition wizard to create a location where you will save your data files. You can then install DataKeeper to save your data on a regular basis.

The backup partition can be 1) on the same hard disk, or 2) on a separate hard disk. It is recommended that you save your data on a separate hard disk. Separating data from the operating system partition has significant benefits:

· Backups are easier and faster.
    · Data is protected from system crashes.
    · Data is protected from some viruses.
    · System migrations are simpler.
    · Finding data is easier and faster.
    · Data is accessible from multiple operating systems.

You can save your data to a partition on the same hard drive (similar to saving to C:/My Documents), and access and recovery of this data would be seamless. However, should you experience a hard disk failure, all the data on the failed disk could be lost.

PartitionMagic - Copy a Partition

The Copy Partition wizard helps you duplicate a partition. The copy is the same size and file type and contains the same data as the original partition.

When you copy a partition using the wizard, you specify the hard disk and the unallocated space where you want to place the copy. You also get to select the partition type (primary or logical) and whether the partition will be hidden or unhidden. You can keep the partition the same size as the original copy (or slightly different if copied to another physical disk with a different geometry), or you can resize the partition to the size you want.

19. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

Edit: duplicate (See below)

20. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

The C: drive currently is using around 5GB of a 30GB partition.

What if I do the following:

• defrag the C: partition with Diskeeper 10

• then create a backup partition in the unallocated space on the same hard drive that C: is located on, and use DataKeeper to back it up daily

• and create a copy of the original C: partition, onto a seperate hard drive and use it as the backup to restore C: from in case the OS fails

• create a copy of the C: partition, onto a seperate hard drive that is going to be put into a different computer and use it as use it as a working copy of XP in that PC, and then use PartitionMagic to resize the partition from 30GB to 10GB

• use Acronis True Image to make weekly backups of C: to the drive in the other computer

Do these sound like a good ideas?

Could True Image backup to the copied version that PartitionMagic made?

If my OS fails, and I restore C: from the True Image backup, would I be able to use diskeeper to update the restored version of C: with the data that has changed since the previous True Image backup?

21. tonysolomon

tonysolomon Private E-2

No need to answer.

I found all of the answers using Google and from someone on a different forum.

Thanks for your help Tim.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds