New bigger screen, unsharp text.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luckyneil, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Luckyneil

Luckyneil Private First Class

I just purchased an LG FLATRON L1982U screen with 3000:1 contrast ratio.

My older screen was smaller. Now I notice that text appears "globby" or unsharp. I increased the res. but the everything became too small.

Do I need to upgrade my Radon 9000 graphics card ?

A connected question. I have had the card for several years. Should I upgrade any driver software for it first?

2. sheesh721

sheesh721 Private First Class

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Right click desktop, properties, appearance, advanced. Make sure Clear Type is on. Updating video card drivers may help, rarely does adding monitor drivers make a difference, usually monitors are simple plug and play. See attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. Luckyneil

I tried that but now it's worse.

5. Major Attitude

6. Major Attitude

Verify that your monitor is displayed correctly as well. This really should not be a problem, but lets play it safe and check that. It should say plug and play monitor, so if you want to try your monitor driver to be SURE its detected properly, do that as well.

7. Luckyneil

It is indeed plug and play but is there some sort of diagnostic check I can run to verify that the correct driver is running it?

8. Major Attitude

No, take less time to install your own driver. Under properties of your monitor, it should show driver info, it probably says Microsoft Corp as driver vendor, in which case, a monitor driver install is worth a try.

9. Luckyneil

I checked under peripherals-monitors in system in the CP. My monitor driver dates to 2002! I googled "LG L1960TR" and "driver" and "download" in various permutations and checked 5 or 6 driver download sites using their search engines and entering my product number and came up empty.

Now I know why there was a CD in the box. The box and the CD are now in the garbage. Not bad, eh?

Now for the good news. I bought the same monitor for my office and kept the CD.:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds