Searching in Windows by Resolution?

Discussion in 'Software' started by geekphl, Feb 26, 2007.

1. geekphl

geekphl Private E-2

OK I have a challenge, mind you I am willing to script it if I have to.

I would like to search for a file, namely jpgs, gifs, tifs, and pngs, by image resolution. Windows will give you the resolution as a column, but I can't get that column to show up in a search window only regular folder views.

There are about 50,000 files, in about 6,000 folders, so manually going through each folder wouldn't be ideal.

Does anyone know of a way to get the image resolution either as a column in the search window, or a way to search by it?

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Would "dimensions" be a sufficient guide to what you are after, working on the basis that dimensions might have / be a direct ratio / guide, to resolution?

If so, Dimensions is an option to display by right clicking in the heading column in your My Pictures folder (or wherever you have them stored).
    Then click on "More" then scroll down to "Dimensions" and check (tick) the box on.;)

You can sort on "Dimensions" heading, to ascending or descending size (whatever you want).:cool

Hope this helps. Let us know. Bazza

3. geekphl

geekphl Private E-2

That works for INDIVIDUAL folders. But I have about 50,000 files through atleast 6000 folders....

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Bazza's solution works!

[​IMG]

Here is a screenshot of me searching my hard drive for JUST images, with the 'Dimensions' column included. As you can see, this works for any number of files in any number of folders.

5. geekphl

geekphl Private E-2

OK TOTALLY stupid, I passed over it about 5 times without seeing it.

Thats one solution. Anyone know of a way to SEARCH by dimensions?

I am sure I could write a program to pull that metadata and parse it, but I am lazy!

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'm lazy too... I would just sort the results using the detail header, as per Bazza's suggestion. I don't think Windows provides that sort of functionality natively. I don't know of any third party, apps either... sorry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds