Computer shuts OFF!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onehand, Feb 20, 2005.

1. onehand

onehand Private E-2

Hi i have a major headache with my computer. Computer deatils are:
    Motherboard - Asus A7N9X - E delux
    CPU - AMD Athlon XP-A 3200+
    Mem - 512 meg DDR
    Graphics - Radeon 9200 AGP

I can use my computer for the basic things like internet, watching dvds and downloading without a problem, but when it comes to installing programs or playing games it just shuts off. I then have to pull the power coard out the back and keep it out for about 20secs before i can turn it back on. This will happen all the time. Ive changed the power supply for a brand new one but still this problem persists. Ive been reading about the C.O.P protection on the motherboard, but ive been watching the temperature very carefully and its not very hot at all, its only when i install or launch a game it goes off. When it goes of i hear a Clicking sound from the power supply. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? Is the mobo knockered.

2. onehand

onehand Private E-2

sorry ive seen i another thread that it could be a RAM issue, is this likely cause i dont want to have to fork out another 50pound on a stick of RAM when i might have to replace the machine anyway.

3. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Look around on the news page for this site, there was just an update for memtest. Download and run that, it'll let you know if there's a memory problem. Are all your fans functioning? If the processor gets hot, and the fan kicks off, it might trigger the processor to die. It usually happens with Intel's, but it might with AMD's as well.

4. onehand

onehand Private E-2

i ran the program and guess what it makes my computer shut off. Im going to have to buy some new RAM and if its nit that then new mobo i guess. I cant believe theres no one around with the same problem that has a answer for me

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Try a different ram slot first clean the pins and sockets with air reseat the ram do this a few times testing each time it might not be as bad as you think if you manage to do the test without it crashing
    Let it be.

6. onehand

onehand Private E-2

ok ive checked my machine and the case fan in the back aint working, so im thinking could it be the mobo being extra carefull and shutting of becuase that back fan aint working?? or would it not even know

7. Rikky

Some mobos can be set to shutdown if the case fan doesnt work but an alarm or auto shutdown would most probably happen before you get into windows,simple fix unplug it or make sure its plugged in the right way round,if it only has 2 wires it doesnt have a speed sensor so the mobo would know anyway.
    Saying that I have stopped my case fans before with my finger "lonlyness does strange things to you",the case fans plugged into the psu molex had no effect,but the fan plugged into the mobo syst fan caused a lockup within 5 secs"while desktop idle".
    My only summation is that the mobo sensed the fan was drawing too much current "This was only a 2 wire fan I jimmied it from an old psu."
    So if it is broke it could be drawing to much current 1-2 amps is normal if that.Or stick 2 pins in the plug and stick it on a battery.

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Mmm, I'd check the fans out, make sure they're all working properly, but this doesn't make sense really because installing somthing wouldn't cause a fan to fail.

This sounds quite a lot like a HDD issue.... since installing stuff/running games makes the HDD do quite a bit of work. Quite why the entire machine would be turned off I have no idea, though.

To rule out a software error, you might want to try using a bootable diagnostics CD, and make it do a HDD write test or somthing. Perhaps Ultimate Boot CD ?

9. Rikky

Yeah golfish is right "dont know why that rikky guy was goin on about fans"LOL :D
    you could also try different hd cable,socket,reseat the plug make sure the cable isnt bent to severly or damaged.Hope you get your fan workin though seein that spin is much more important than a workin comp.LOL :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds